Francisco M. Soares Nt. | 12 Jun 21:29 2013
Picon

Examples of MVars usage

Hello, everyone.

I am looking for packages on hackage which use MVars extensively. Those which create plenty of MVars -- not just one or two for conditional synchronization or to keep track of a value throughout the program. My purpose is to analyze usage patterns of MVars. Does anybody have any suggestions?

So far I have analyzed a few packages:

* conjure (0.1)
* distributed-process (0.4.2)
* distributed-process-p2p (0.1.1.0)
* leksah (0.12.1.3)
* manatee-core (0.1.1)
* urlcheck (0.1.1)

Nonetheless, I feel like I still haven't covered a good enough range of usage, since some examples are small, and some use MVars just for a small number of cases, while the heavy lifting is done with STM. And surely because there are only 6 of them.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

[]'s
--
Francisco Soares Nt.

lucas di cioccio | 12 Jun 21:35 2013
Picon

Re: Examples of MVars usage

Hi Francisco,

You can try GitHub's code search https://github.com/search?l=Haskell&q=mvar&ref=cmdform&type=Code

Cheers,
--Lucas

[...]

Bas van Dijk | 13 Jun 01:14 2013
Picon

Re: Examples of MVars usage

On 12 June 2013 21:29, Francisco M. Soares Nt.
<xfrancisco.soares <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for packages on hackage which use MVars extensively. Those
> which create plenty of MVars

Hi Francisco,

Also take a look at Control.Concurrent.Chan in the base library:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/base/latest/doc/html/Control-Concurrent-Chan.html

A big Chan has a lot of MVars inside.

Bas
Francisco M. Soares Nt. | 13 Jun 07:16 2013
Picon

Re: Examples of MVars usage

First of all, thank you for your suggestions.

You can try GitHub's code search

For the moment I am ignoring Github because it's harder to separate stable development from unstable. Even so, it might be worth the trouble to check out github soon. Thank you, Lucas.

Also take a look at Control.Concurrent.Chan in the base library:

Yes, the base package seems like a good one for inclusion. Thank you, Bas.

[]'s
--
Francisco