Richard A. O'Keefe | 13 Jun 07:37 2013
Picon

Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg

Today I cleared out everything, using uninstall-hs and
rm -rf ~/.cabal ~/Library/Haskell

I downloaded Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg
and installed it.

I was unsuccessful in installing the packages I wanted
using cabal install, which suggested running ghc-pkg check.

So I cleared out everything again and reinstalled the HP.
In the admin account, ghc-pkg check says

Warning: haddock-interfaces:
  /Library/Haskell/ghc-7.6.3/lib/haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0/
  doc/html/haskell-platform.haddock
  doesn't exist or isn't a file
Warning: haddock-html:
  /Library/Haskell/ghc-7.6.3/lib/haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0/
  doc/html
  doesn't exist or isn't a directory
Roman Cheplyaka | 13 Jun 07:51 2013

Re: Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg

* Richard A. O'Keefe <ok <at> cs.otago.ac.nz> [2013-06-13 17:37:57+1200]
> Today I cleared out everything, using uninstall-hs and
> rm -rf ~/.cabal ~/Library/Haskell
>
> I downloaded Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg
> and installed it.
>
> I was unsuccessful in installing the packages I wanted
> using cabal install, which suggested running ghc-pkg check.
>
> So I cleared out everything again and reinstalled the HP.
> In the admin account, ghc-pkg check says
>
> Warning: haddock-interfaces:
>   /Library/Haskell/ghc-7.6.3/lib/haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0/
>   doc/html/haskell-platform.haddock
>   doesn't exist or isn't a file
> Warning: haddock-html:
>   /Library/Haskell/ghc-7.6.3/lib/haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0/
>   doc/html
>   doesn't exist or isn't a directory

This is harmless (but should be fixed).

Do you need help with your original problem? If so, please give us more
details.

Roman
Richard A. O'Keefe | 13 Jun 08:13 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg

My original problem was that I wanted to load a particular set of
packages using 'cabal install'.  It didn't work (cabal install issues)
and while the maintainer reacted promptly and helpfully, cabal
kept on trying to install the wrong version.

Part of the problem was that blasting away ~/.cabal and ~/Library/Haskell
wasn't enough:  it's necessary to blast away ~/.ghc as well (which I had
forgotten existed and of course never saw).

* It would be handy if 'uninstall-hs' had an option, say
* uninstall-hs --user
* so that a user could in one step make it as if they had never
* used the Haskell Platform.

(Sigh.  Changes to the GHC command line interface since 7.0 have
broken one of the packages I used to have installed, and the
maintainer's e-mail address doesn't work any more.  And sometimes
it seems as if every time I install anything with cabal something
else breaks.)

PS. Earlier today cabal gave me some confusing messages which
turned out to mean 'GSL isn't installed'.  Non-Haskell dependencies
could be explained a little more clearly.
Michael Orlitzky | 15 Jun 05:17 2013

On 06/13/2013 02:13 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> My original problem was that I wanted to load a particular set of
> packages using 'cabal install'.  It didn't work (cabal install issues)
> and while the maintainer reacted promptly and helpfully, cabal
> kept on trying to install the wrong version.
>
> Part of the problem was that blasting away ~/.cabal and ~/Library/Haskell
> wasn't enough:  it's necessary to blast away ~/.ghc as well (which I had
> forgotten existed and of course never saw).
>
> * It would be handy if 'uninstall-hs' had an option, say
> * uninstall-hs --user
> * so that a user could in one step make it as if they had never
> * used the Haskell Platform.
>
> (Sigh.  Changes to the GHC command line interface since 7.0 have
> broken one of the packages I used to have installed, and the
> maintainer's e-mail address doesn't work any more.  And sometimes
> it seems as if every time I install anything with cabal something
> else breaks.)
>
> PS. Earlier today cabal gave me some confusing messages which
> turned out to mean 'GSL isn't installed'.  Non-Haskell dependencies
> could be explained a little more clearly.

This doesn't offer an immediate solution to your problem, but as of
right now, the best set of "blessed" Haskell packages can be found in
the gentoo-haskell[1] overlay.

(Continue reading)

aditya bhargava | 15 Jun 15:45 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform 2013.2.0.0 64bit.pkg

As a side note, I have stopped having cabal issues since I started using hsenv. It sandboxes packages for you. So if you have install problems you just need to delete a local .hsenv directory instead of reinstalling everything.