Corentin Dupont | 14 Jun 17:57 2013
Picon

ANN: Nomyx 0.2 beta, the game where you can change the rules

Hello everybody!
Here it comes, the second beta release [1] of Nomyx, the only game where You can change the rules!!
This is an implementation of a Nomic [2] game in Haskell (I believe the first complete implementation of a Nomic game on a computer). In a Nomyx game you can change the rules of the game itself while playing it. The players can submit new rules or modify existing ones, thus completely changing the behaviour of the game through time. The rules are managed and interpreted by the computer. They must be written in the Nomyx language, which is a subset of Haskell.

At the beginning, the initial rules are describing:
- how to add new rules and change existing ones. For example a unanimity vote is necessary to have a new rule accepted.
- how to win the game. For example you win the game if you have 5 rules accepted.
But of course even that can be changed!

Here is a video introduction and first tutorial of the game: http://vimeo.com/58265498
The game is running here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx
I have set up a forum where players can learn about Nomyx and discuss the rules they intend to propose: www.nomyx.net/forum
The example file gives a lot of examples of rules that you can submit: www.nomyx.net:8000/src/Language/Nomyx/Examples.hs

Changes from V0.1:
- new login system: you can now login with your Google, Yahoo, Live Journal, Myspace, OpenId or Facebook accounts (thanks to happstack-authenticate)!
- new DSL for voting (see below)
- styling: rule code colorized, better settings and help
- use cookies to store the user ID (as suggested on this mailing list)
- new error system to handle exceptions in rules (with ErrorT)
- use lenses

I set up a little DSL to create elections (elect one of the players for a special role) or referendums (a yes/no question).
You create in one line within Nomyx an vote with unanimity or majority, a quorum and different ballot systems. See here: http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1518

Let's test it! If you are interested, please go to this forum thread and we'll set up a small team to start a match!
http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1517
The demo game is running here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx then select game "demo2".
As the first player of the game, I changed the initial unanimity vote to a simple majority, with a minimum of 2 players voting. Having your new rules accepted will be easy!
Let's see who will win :)

Cheers,
Corentin

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Nomyx
[2] www.nomic.net

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Brent Yorgey | 19 Jun 13:01 2013

Re: ANN: Nomyx 0.2 beta, the game where you can change the rules

This is great fun, more people should come and join us! =)

  http://www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx

we are playing game "demo3".

-Brent

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 05:57:57PM +0200, Corentin Dupont wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> Here it comes, the second beta release [1] of Nomyx, the only game where
> You can change the rules!!
> This is an implementation of a Nomic [2] game in Haskell (I believe the
> first complete implementation of a Nomic game on a computer). In a
> Nomyxgame you can change the rules of the game itself while playing
> it. The
> players can submit new rules or modify existing ones, thus completely
> changing the behaviour of the game through time. The rules are managed and
> interpreted by the computer. They must be written in the Nomyx language,
> which is a subset of Haskell.
> 
> At the beginning, the initial rules are describing:
> - how to add new rules and change existing ones. For example a unanimity
> vote is necessary to have a new rule accepted.
> - how to win the game. For example you win the game if you have 5 rules
> accepted.
> But of course even that can be changed!
> 
> Here is a video introduction and first tutorial of the game:
> http://vimeo.com/58265498
> The game is running here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx
> I have set up a forum where players can learn about Nomyx and discuss the
> rules they intend to propose: www.nomyx.net/forum
> The example file gives a lot of examples of rules that you can submit:
> www.nomyx.net:8000/src/Language/Nomyx/Examples.hs
> 
> Changes from V0.1:
> - new login system: you can now login with your Google, Yahoo, Live
> Journal, Myspace, OpenId or Facebook accounts (thanks to
> happstack-authenticate)!
> - new DSL for voting (see below)
> - styling: rule code colorized, better settings and help
> - use cookies to store the user ID (as suggested on this mailing list)
> - new error system to handle exceptions in rules (with ErrorT)
> - use lenses
> 
> I set up a little DSL to create elections (elect one of the players for a
> special role) or referendums (a yes/no question).
> You create in one line within Nomyx an vote with unanimity or majority, a
> quorum and different ballot systems. See here:
> http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1518
> 
> Let's test it! If you are interested, please go to this forum thread and
> we'll set up a small team to start a match!
> http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1517
> The demo game is running here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx then select game
> "demo2".
> As the first player of the game, I changed the initial unanimity vote to a
> simple majority, with a minimum of 2 players voting. Having your new rules
> accepted will be easy!
> Let's see who will win :)
> 
> Cheers,
> Corentin
> 
> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Nomyx
> [2] www.nomic.net

> _______________________________________________
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Corentin Dupont | 19 Jun 13:18 2013
Picon

Re: ANN: Nomyx 0.2 beta, the game where you can change the rules

Thanks Brent! I'm glad you like it.
You will win a lot of money if new players come :)
Indeed Brent proposed a rule that allows sponsorship: if you invite a player in, you win 50 ECU...

The game is still in beta-phase, so expect bugs...
There is some learning material in the links in my mail under (see the forum).

Best,
Corentin


On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey <at> seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
This is great fun, more people should come and join us! =)

  http://www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx

we are playing game "demo3".

-Brent

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 05:57:57PM +0200, Corentin Dupont wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> Here it comes, the second beta release [1] of Nomyx, the only game where
> You can change the rules!!
> This is an implementation of a Nomic [2] game in Haskell (I believe the
> first complete implementation of a Nomic game on a computer). In a
> Nomyxgame you can change the rules of the game itself while playing
> it. The
> players can submit new rules or modify existing ones, thus completely
> changing the behaviour of the game through time. The rules are managed and
> interpreted by the computer. They must be written in the Nomyx language,
> which is a subset of Haskell.
>
> At the beginning, the initial rules are describing:
> - how to add new rules and change existing ones. For example a unanimity
> vote is necessary to have a new rule accepted.
> - how to win the game. For example you win the game if you have 5 rules
> accepted.
> But of course even that can be changed!
>
> Here is a video introduction and first tutorial of the game:
> http://vimeo.com/58265498
> The game is running here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx
> I have set up a forum where players can learn about Nomyx and discuss the
> rules they intend to propose: www.nomyx.net/forum
> The example file gives a lot of examples of rules that you can submit:
> www.nomyx.net:8000/src/Language/Nomyx/Examples.hs
>
> Changes from V0.1:
> - new login system: you can now login with your Google, Yahoo, Live
> Journal, Myspace, OpenId or Facebook accounts (thanks to
> happstack-authenticate)!
> - new DSL for voting (see below)
> - styling: rule code colorized, better settings and help
> - use cookies to store the user ID (as suggested on this mailing list)
> - new error system to handle exceptions in rules (with ErrorT)
> - use lenses
>
> I set up a little DSL to create elections (elect one of the players for a
> special role) or referendums (a yes/no question).
> You create in one line within Nomyx an vote with unanimity or majority, a
> quorum and different ballot systems. See here:
> http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1518
>
> Let's test it! If you are interested, please go to this forum thread and
> we'll set up a small team to start a match!
> http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1517
> The demo game is running here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx then select game
> "demo2".
> As the first player of the game, I changed the initial unanimity vote to a
> simple majority, with a minimum of 2 players voting. Having your new rules
> accepted will be easy!
> Let's see who will win :)
>
> Cheers,
> Corentin
>
> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Nomyx
> [2] www.nomic.net

> _______________________________________________
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe


_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Tobias Dammers | 19 Jun 15:48 2013
Picon

Re: ANN: Nomyx 0.2 beta, the game where you can change the rules

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:18:54PM +0200, Corentin Dupont wrote:
> Thanks Brent! I'm glad you like it.
> You will win a lot of money if new players come :)
> Indeed Brent proposed a rule that allows sponsorship: if you invite a
> player in, you win 50 ECU...

Joined a game, though I don't really have time to look into it right
now. 

One thing though: It appears that the game sends multipart/alternative
e-mail messages, where the text/plain part is completely empty (0
bytes). Since I've configured my mail client to prefer text/plain over
text/html, this is kind of inconvenient.

Otherwise, good job. I'm curious where this is going.
Corentin Dupont | 19 Jun 16:03 2013
Picon

Re: ANN: Nomyx 0.2 beta, the game where you can change the rules

Thanks Tobias, I'm looking forward to see you in the game!
I'll try to fix the text/plain part of the mails. I had quite some problems with the haskell command simpleMail some time ago.

Best,
Corentin

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Tobias Dammers <tdammers <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:18:54PM +0200, Corentin Dupont wrote:
> Thanks Brent! I'm glad you like it.
> You will win a lot of money if new players come :)
> Indeed Brent proposed a rule that allows sponsorship: if you invite a
> player in, you win 50 ECU...

Joined a game, though I don't really have time to look into it right
now.

One thing though: It appears that the game sends multipart/alternative
e-mail messages, where the text/plain part is completely empty (0
bytes). Since I've configured my mail client to prefer text/plain over
text/html, this is kind of inconvenient.

Otherwise, good job. I'm curious where this is going.


_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

Gmane