Mihai Maruseac | 7 Aug 07:18 2013
Picon

Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

Hello,

A friend of mine tried to install Haskell Platform and Leksah on
Windows and was troubled by the amount of problems he encountered as a
beginner in this. I've told him to ask over IRC and mailing list but
it seems he has some problems with registration.

Anyway, he blogged about his problems at
http://dorinlazar.ro/haskell-platform-windows-crippled/ and I'm sure
that we can work on fixing some of them.

MM
"All we have to decide is what we do with the time that is given to us"
Albert Y. C. Lai | 8 Aug 00:29 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

On 13-08-07 01:18 AM, Mihai Maruseac wrote:
> Anyway, he blogged about his problems at
> http://dorinlazar.ro/haskell-platform-windows-crippled/ and I'm sure
> that we can work on fixing some of them.

To learn Haskell on Windows, and with Haskell Platform already
installed, it is very easy and KISS to just add a text editor (even
notepad will do for a while), and start experimenting using ghci.
Haskell Platform is not cripplied. The next Windows user may find it
just fine.
Carter Schonwald | 8 Aug 05:28 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

Hello Mihai,

you bring up 2 unrelated questions, i'll address them seperately

1)

Leksah should not be considered an "official haskell ide", but merely one of many community supported editing tools. And frankly one of the less widely used ones at that! Leksah is not used much at all by anyone, though theres probably a handful of folks who do use it.

 Many folks use editors like Sublime Tex (2/3), Emacs, Vi(m), textmate, and many more.  Its worth noting that the sublime-haskell plugin for sublime text, and analogous packages for many other editors, provide haskell IDE-like powers, or at least a nice subset thereof.

2) There are people working on building better easily portable native gui toolkits, but in many respects, a nice haskelly gui toolkit is still something people are experimetning with how to do well. theres lots of great tools out as of the past year or two, many more in progress on various time scales, and gtk2hs is great for linux (and thats fine).

cheers
-Carter

--
MM
"All we have to decide is what we do with the time that is given to us"

Mihai Maruseac | 8 Aug 07:39 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies, I've relayed them to my acquaintance. Though
he still doesn't understand that he's at fault for demanding the
unreasonable.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Carter Schonwald
<carter.schonwald <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mihai,
>
> you bring up 2 unrelated questions, i'll address them seperately
>

> 1)
>
> Leksah should not be considered an "official haskell ide", but merely one of
> many community supported editing tools. And frankly one of the less widely
> used ones at that! Leksah is not used much at all by anyone, though theres
> probably a handful of folks who do use it.
>
>  Many folks use editors like Sublime Tex (2/3), Emacs, Vi(m), textmate, and
> many more.  Its worth noting that the sublime-haskell plugin for sublime
> text, and analogous packages for many other editors, provide haskell
> IDE-like powers, or at least a nice subset thereof.
>

> 2) There are people working on building better easily portable native gui
> toolkits, but in many respects, a nice haskelly gui toolkit is still
> something people are experimetning with how to do well. theres lots of great
> tools out as of the past year or two, many more in progress on various time
> scales, and gtk2hs is great for linux (and thats fine).
>
> cheers
> -Carter
>

> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Mihai Maruseac <mihai.maruseac <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> A friend of mine tried to install Haskell Platform and Leksah on
>> Windows and was troubled by the amount of problems he encountered as a
>> beginner in this. I've told him to ask over IRC and mailing list but
>> it seems he has some problems with registration.
>>
>> Anyway, he blogged about his problems at
>> http://dorinlazar.ro/haskell-platform-windows-crippled/ and I'm sure
>> that we can work on fixing some of them.
>> --
>> MM
>> "All we have to decide is what we do with the time that is given to us"

MM
"All we have to decide is what we do with the time that is given to us"
Manuel Gómez | 8 Aug 20:03 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Mihai Maruseac
<mihai.maruseac <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A friend of mine tried to install Haskell Platform and Leksah on
> Windows and was troubled by the amount of problems he encountered as a
> beginner in this. I've told him to ask over IRC and mailing list but
> it seems he has some problems with registration.
>
> Anyway, he blogged about his problems at
> http://dorinlazar.ro/haskell-platform-windows-crippled/ and I'm sure
> that we can work on fixing some of them.

I don’t agree with too many of its conclusions and its description of
Cabal is perhaps not up to date with current idioms and recommended
practice —it was, after all, written three years ago—, but this
article[1] did help me understand the relevant issues when I had
similar thoughts.  Specifically, I don’t think it’s a good idea to
rely on the distribution’s package manager for Haskell packages
—mostly a non‐issue in Windows, of course—, so I would disregard that
suggestion; many good reasons for this are spelled out in great detail
in Albert Lai’s SICP[2].

I have no doubt that the complexity of these issues discourages
beginners unfamiliar with Haskell development, having gone through
this myself, but these really are difficult problems with no generally
accepted ideal solution.  Other development environments will happily
install packages with a much higher probability of breaking at
runtime, and the general doctrine of static correctness guarantees
espoused by this community brings only as much complexity as it does
reliability.  A tradeoff, as everything, with the unfortunate
consequence, as always, of bringing discomfort to beginners.  “Avoid
success at all costs”, was it?

[1]: http://ivanmiljenovic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/repeat-after-me-cabal-is-not-a-package-manager/
[2]: http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml

Vagif Verdi | 8 Aug 20:43 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

While your friend is wrong to blame haskell on his leksah installation problems i think the culprit here is the leksah web site.
It misinforms users saying that leksah runs on windows. It's like Blizzard saying Diablo 3 runs on linux because there are reports of linux users successfully running Diablo 3 with wine and some winetricks wodoo.

Leksah is a linux program intented to run on linux. You can (in some cases) successfully install and run it on windows, but you would need to go through certain steps installing some unrelated to windows software (gtk etc)

I would recommend leksah maintainers to change the language on their website to prevent future problems like this.

Currently the only more or less full featured haskell IDEs legitimately running on windows are EclipseFP and perhaps abandoned VS plugin.

A friend of mine tried to install Haskell Platform and Leksah on
Windows and was troubled by the amount of problems he encountered as a
beginner in this. I've told him to ask over IRC and mailing list but
it seems he has some problems with registration.

Anyway, he blogged about his problems at
http://dorinlazar.ro/haskell-platform-windows-crippled/ and I'm sure
that we can work on fixing some of them.
--
MM
"All we have to decide is what we do with the time that is given to us"

Gregory Weber | 8 Aug 21:58 2013

On 2013-Aug-08, Vagif Verdi and/or a Mail User Agent wrote:
>    Leksah is a linux program intented to run on linux. You can (in some
>    cases) successfully install and run it on windows, but you would need
>    to go through certain steps installing some unrelated to windows
>    software (gtk etc)

GTK and its (non-Haskell) dependencies seem to be the tricky part.
I found the instructions for installing Gtk2hs on Windows

    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Gtk2Hs/Installation#Windows

a bit sketchy, so wrote a blog post with more detailed instructions:

    http://spottedmetal.blogspot.com/2013/07/setting-up-haskell-gtk-development.html

I normally work with Linux; Windows experts could probably
make some improvements in my procedures.

Greg

Gregory D. Weber, Ph. D.                  http://mypage.iu.edu/~gdweber/
Associate Professor of Informatics        Tel (765) 973-8420
Indiana University East                   FAX (765) 973-8550
Hamish Mackenzie | 9 Aug 08:27 2013

On 9 Aug 2013, at 07:58, Gregory Weber <gdweber <at> iue.edu> wrote:

> GTK and its (non-Haskell) dependencies seem to be the tricky part.
> I found the instructions for installing Gtk2hs on Windows
>
>    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Gtk2Hs/Installation#Windows
>
> a bit sketchy, so wrote a blog post with more detailed instructions:
>
>    http://spottedmetal.blogspot.com/2013/07/setting-up-haskell-gtk-development.html
>
> I normally work with Linux; Windows experts could probably
> make some improvements in my procedures.

To install Gtk 3 on Windows I installed a Fedora VM and set it up
to cross compile windows Gtk 3 apps.  This is actually much easier
than installing on Gtk 3 on windows.  Fedora and OpenSUSE have
mingw32 rpms for all your windows needs.  They even include stuff
like WebKit.

I then shared the DLLs and header files with my Windows machine
and installed Gtk2Hs using those.

If you would rather not go to the trouble of installing a VM,
then there is a python script in this article might help (I have
not tried it)...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6006689/where-can-i-download-precompiled-gtk-3-binaries-or-windows-installer

Next time I have to refresh my Windows build machine I will try
to document the process.

Hamish
Hamish Mackenzie | 9 Aug 08:09 2013