jabolopes | 22 Aug 20:30 2013
Picon

Hoogle vs Hayoo

Hi,

I noticed Hayoo appears as a link in the toolbox of
http://hackage.haskell.org and also that Hayoo seems to display better
results than Hoogle.  For example, if you search for 'PublicKey' in
Hayoo, you will get several results from Hackage libraries, such as,
'crypto-pubkey' and 'crypto-api'.  However, the same query in Hoogle
displays no results.

Is Hayoo the default Hackage search engine ?
Is Hoogle deprecated ?
What the status ?

Thank you,
Jose
Mateusz Kowalczyk | 22 Aug 21:23 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

On 22/08/13 19:30, jabolopes <at> google.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed Hayoo appears as a link in the toolbox of
> http://hackage.haskell.org and also that Hayoo seems to display better
> results than Hoogle.  For example, if you search for 'PublicKey' in
> Hayoo, you will get several results from Hackage libraries, such as,
> 'crypto-pubkey' and 'crypto-api'.  However, the same query in Hoogle
> displays no results.
>
> Is Hayoo the default Hackage search engine ?
> Is Hoogle deprecated ?
> What the status ?
>
> Thank you,
> Jose

You could also try the Hoogle hosted by FPComplete guys, it indexes more
stuff. It's at [1].

I hear that Hayoo actually does a better job getting the relevant
results but I am unsure how much truth there is to it. I always thought
it was just Hoogle with more indexed docs.

[1] - https://www.fpcomplete.com/hoogle

Mateusz K.
(Continue reading)

Johannes Waldmann | 23 Aug 09:35 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu <at> fuuzetsu.co.uk> writes:

> I always thought [hayoo] was just Hoogle with more indexed docs.

Wait - there's a semantic difference:

hoogle does understand type signatures
(e.g., it can specialize them, or flip arguments of functions)
while hayoo just treats signatures as strings (it seems).

Example: search for [a] -> [a]

hoogle: will also return  Data.Text.transpose :: [Text] -> [Text]
(note: instantiated  a  to Text)

hayoo: will also return Data.List.isInfixOf :: [a] -> [a] -> Bool
(note:  the type is [a] -> ([a] -> Bool),
so it does actually not contain the type from the query)

I much prefer hoogle's query semantics.

- J.W.

PS: but hoogle also returns   inits :: [a] -> [[a]]
which is not an instance of the query. Why is this?
Erik Hesselink | 23 Aug 10:12 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<fuuzetsu <at> fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22/08/13 19:30, jabolopes <at> google.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed Hayoo appears as a link in the toolbox of
>> http://hackage.haskell.org and also that Hayoo seems to display better
>> results than Hoogle.  For example, if you search for 'PublicKey' in
>> Hayoo, you will get several results from Hackage libraries, such as,
>> 'crypto-pubkey' and 'crypto-api'.  However, the same query in Hoogle
>> displays no results.
>>
>> Is Hayoo the default Hackage search engine ?
>> Is Hoogle deprecated ?
>> What the status ?
>
> You could also try the Hoogle hosted by FPComplete guys, it indexes more
> stuff.

Note that the 'normal' hoogle indexes all (?) of hackage. But by
default it only searches the haskell platform. You can add a package
with '+' to search in that package. E.g. "PublicKey +crypto-api".

Regards,

Erik
Daniel Trstenjak | 23 Aug 10:33 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:12:27AM +0200, Erik Hesselink wrote:
> Note that the 'normal' hoogle indexes all (?) of hackage. But by
> default it only searches the haskell platform. You can add a package
> with '+' to search in that package. E.g. "PublicKey +crypto-api".

If the idea behind this, that the haskell platform packages should
be the first place to look at, than this could be also achieved by
sorting the search results.

It's a bit pointless, if I have to know the package, where I want to
search in.

Greetings,
Daniel
jabolopes | 23 Aug 15:57 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

> It's a bit pointless, if I have to know the package, where I want to
> search in.

Yeah! It does sound a bit pointless.  Hoogle should search everything
by default, and then you can refine your search by clicking on the '+'
or '-' on the packages that appear on the left menu.

Jose

Jose Antonio Lopes
Ganeti Engineering
Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12, 80331, München

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
Steuernummer: 48/725/00206
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE813741370
Mateusz Kowalczyk | 23 Aug 16:53 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

On 23/08/13 14:57, jabolopes <at> google.com wrote:
>> It's a bit pointless, if I have to know the package, where I want to
>> search in.
>
> Yeah! It does sound a bit pointless.  Hoogle should search everything
> by default, and then you can refine your search by clicking on the '+'
> or '-' on the packages that appear on the left menu.
>
> Jose

+1 to this, I never even knew this functionality existed. Why not have a
checkbox or something along these lines to enable the search in all
packages? This wouldn't change the old behaviour by default and it would
allow for a wider search.

Mateusz K.
Neil Mitchell | 1 Sep 19:50 2013
Picon

Re: Hoogle vs Hayoo

Hi,

Hoogle is definitely not deprecated. The reason you can't yet search
all packages simultaneously is that it consumes too many resources -
the number of Haskell packages exploded at a time when I wasn't able
to spend enough time to allow Hoogle to keep up. It's definitely
something on the todo list! The FP complete guys are helping with the
work required to get there.

Be careful what you wish for though. I can't almost guarantee that
every type you search for is available in the lens package as a
hylo-zygote-para-poly-morphism if you instantiate the Bazaar
applicative to the right type. I agree that sorting the platform
packages to the top of the list is likely to help make this more
manageable.

Thanks, Neil

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk