aditya siram | 8 Sep 23:39 2013
Picon

FLTK GUI Binding in progress. Call for participation.

Hi all,
I'm working on a FLTK [1] GUI binding [2]. The attraction of FLTK is that it is portable across many platforms, meaning it is easy to:
1. provide a binary for your application that works without installing anything else. eg. no need to install X on Mac. Just double-click!
2. develop on other platforms because both the library and the bindings have few dependencies and compile from scratch without a fuss.
3. provide native solutions that don't require the browser.

To my knowledge no current bindings have all those advantages.

Most of the work of wrapping the C++ in C is done and a number of the examples that ship with FLTK have been ported to C and seem to be compatible.

I have only just started the Haskell bindings.

This is a great time to:
1. help with the low-level porting. Most of it is just busy work.
2. significantly influence what the Haskelly abstraction layer will look like.
3. tell me if I'm doing something wrong in the C/C++ code. I'm a newbie to both languages. I've learned what I needed to know to get this far.

Thanks for your attention.
-deech
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
John Lask | 9 Sep 03:20 2013
Picon

Re: FLTK GUI Binding in progress. Call for participation.

On 9/09/2013 7:09 AM, aditya siram wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on a FLTK [1] GUI binding [2]. The attraction of FLTK is that

there is an existing binding on hackage:

"hs-fltk library: Binding to GUI library FLTK"

which I understand is quite serviceable. Perhaps effort could be 
directed on making improvements (should they be required) to this rather 
than duplicating existing functionality.
aditya siram | 9 Sep 13:50 2013
Picon

Re: FLTK GUI Binding in progress. Call for participation.

Thanks for your input.

However from an API coverage standpoint I think I further along than that project. Also it hasn't been updated since 2008.

That said it seems to have a nice interface. Should I emulate that?

One of my main goals for starting this thread (besides getting help) was to start a discussion about what the higher level abstraction should look like. There's so many choices.

Thanks!
-deech


On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM, John Lask <jvlask <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/09/2013 7:09 AM, aditya siram wrote:
Hi all,
I'm working on a FLTK [1] GUI binding [2]. The attraction of FLTK is that

there is an existing binding on hackage:

"hs-fltk library: Binding to GUI library FLTK"


which I understand is quite serviceable. Perhaps effort could be directed on making improvements (should they be required) to this rather than duplicating existing functionality.



_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe <at> haskell.org
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Heinrich Apfelmus | 9 Sep 15:36 2013
Picon

Re: FLTK GUI Binding in progress. Call for participation.

aditya siram wrote:
> Thanks for your input.
> 
> However from an API coverage standpoint I think I further along than that
> project. Also it hasn't been updated since 2008.
> 
> That said it seems to have a nice interface. Should I emulate that?
> 
> One of my main goals for starting this thread (besides getting help) was to
> start a discussion about what the higher level abstraction should look
> like. There's so many choices.

WxHaskell has a particularly well-designed API, see also

   http://legacy.cs.uu.nl/daan/download/papers/wxhaskell.pdf

However, I think that event handling can be done even more elegantly 
and, in particular, integrated with functional reactive programming 
(FRP). See my recent project

   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Threepenny-gui

for a post-wxHaskell take on a GUI API.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

Gmane