Thiago Negri | 13 Sep 05:25 2013
Picon

Package compatibility (SemVer, PVP, ECT)

I've just read Semantic Versioning (SemVer) [1], Package Versioning Policy (PVP) [2] and Eternal Compatibility in Theory (ECT) [3].

Is PVP the one that every package on Hackage should use?
SemVer seems to make more sense to me.

Also, ECT looks very promising, but it is dated back to 2005 and I didn't see any package using it. Why?

If Cabal could map the package version number to the versioned module name, there will be no need to "uglify" the client code. I mean, when I import module A and define in dependencies "a == 1.8.3", Cabal would map that to module A_7 and bind that to the "A" I've imported. We would be locked in with Cabal, but that seems to be a good tradeoff.

[1] http://semver.org
[2] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Pvp
[3] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/The_Monad.Reader/Issue2/EternalCompatibilityInTheory

Gregory Collins | 13 Sep 10:37 2013
Picon

Re: Package compatibility (SemVer, PVP, ECT)

Is PVP the one that every package on Hackage should use?

Yes.

Gregory Collins <greg <at> gregorycollins.net>