Henk-Jan van Tuyl | 18 Sep 11:23 2013
Picon

cabal: internal error when reading package index

L.S.,

I was trying to install a package from a local drive and got the following
message:
   >cabal install
   Resolving dependencies...
   cabal: internal error when reading package index: could not read tar file
   entryThe package index or index cache is probably corrupt. Running cabal
   update might fix it.

Then I tried cabal update:
   >cabal update
   Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
   Skipping download: Local and remote files match.
   Note: there is a new version of cabal-install available.
   To upgrade, run: cabal install cabal-install

Trying the command
   cabal install cabal-install
gave the same internal error message as for the first command.

What can I do about this?

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

Folding <at> home

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 18 Sep 11:53 2013
Picon

Re: cabal: internal error when reading package index

On 18 September 2013 19:23, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl <at> chello.nl> wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> I was trying to install a package from a local drive and got the following
> message:
>   >cabal install
>   Resolving dependencies...
>   cabal: internal error when reading package index: could not read tar file
>   entryThe package index or index cache is probably corrupt. Running cabal
>   update might fix it.
>
> Then I tried cabal update:
>   >cabal update
>   Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
>   Skipping download: Local and remote files match.
>   Note: there is a new version of cabal-install available.
>   To upgrade, run: cabal install cabal-install
>
> Trying the command
>   cabal install cabal-install
> gave the same internal error message as for the first command.
>
> What can I do about this?

Maybe try deleting the current download?  Namely
~/.cabal/packages/hackage.haskell.org/00-index.*