Mike Meyer | 23 Sep 19:20 2013

Looking for numbers to support using haskell

Hi all,

I'm looking for articles that provide some technical support for why Haskell rocks. Not just cheerleading, but something with a bit of real information in it - a comparison of code snippets in multiple languages, or the results of a study on programmer productivity (given all the noise and heat on the topic of type checking, surely there's a study somewhere that actually provides light as well), etc.

Basically, I'd love things that would turn into an elevator pitch of "I can show you how to be X times more productive than you are using Y", and then the article provides the evidence to support that claim.

Thanks,
Mike
MigMit | 23 Sep 19:31 2013
Picon

Re: Looking for numbers to support using haskell

The classical reference is, I think, the paper “Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ... An Experiment in
Software Prototyping Productivity”

On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for articles that provide some technical support for why Haskell rocks. Not just
cheerleading, but something with a bit of real information in it - a comparison of code snippets in
multiple languages, or the results of a study on programmer productivity (given all the noise and heat on
the topic of type checking, surely there's a study somewhere that actually provides light as well), etc.

> Basically, I'd love things that would turn into an elevator pitch of "I can show you how to be X times more
productive than you are using Y", and then the article provides the evidence to support that claim.

> Thanks,
> Mike
Nick Vanderweit | 23 Sep 21:13 2013
Picon

Re: Looking for numbers to support using haskell

I'd be interested in more studies in this space. Does anyone know of
empirical studies on program robustness vs. other languages?

Nick

On 09/23/2013 11:31 AM, MigMit wrote:
> The classical reference is, I think, the paper “Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ... An Experiment in
Software Prototyping Productivity”

> On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for articles that provide some technical support for why Haskell rocks. Not just
cheerleading, but something with a bit of real information in it - a comparison of code snippets in
multiple languages, or the results of a study on programmer productivity (given all the noise and heat on
the topic of type checking, surely there's a study somewhere that actually provides light as well), etc.

>> Basically, I'd love things that would turn into an elevator pitch of "I can show you how to be X times more
productive than you are using Y", and then the article provides the evidence to support that claim.

>> Thanks,
>> Mike
Eric Rasmussen | 24 Sep 00:05 2013
Picon

Re: Looking for numbers to support using haskell

Hi Nick,

FP Complete has a lot of good resources on this topic, including some case studies: https://www.fpcomplete.com/business/resources/case-studies/

I believe part of their aim is making the business case for Haskell (meaning many of the resources are geared towards management), which I realize is not exactly what you asked for. But hopefully you'll find something there that can help.

Best,
Eric

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Nick Vanderweit <nick.vanderweit <at> gmail.com> wrote:
I'd be interested in more studies in this space. Does anyone know of
empirical studies on program robustness vs. other languages?

Nick

On 09/23/2013 11:31 AM, MigMit wrote:
> The classical reference is, I think, the paper “Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ... An Experiment in Software Prototyping Productivity”
>
> On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for articles that provide some technical support for why Haskell rocks. Not just cheerleading, but something with a bit of real information in it - a comparison of code snippets in multiple languages, or the results of a study on programmer productivity (given all the noise and heat on the topic of type checking, surely there's a study somewhere that actually provides light as well), etc.
>>
>> Basically, I'd love things that would turn into an elevator pitch of "I can show you how to be X times more productive than you are using Y", and then the article provides the evidence to support that claim.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
Mike Meyer | 26 Sep 18:14 2013

Re: Looking for numbers to support using haskell

The fpcomplete case studies are similar to what I'm looking for.

Anyone have more of them? Maybe a blog post or comparison they've written?

Thanks,
<mike

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Eric Rasmussen <ericrasmussen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Nick,

FP Complete has a lot of good resources on this topic, including some case studies: https://www.fpcomplete.com/business/resources/case-studies/

I believe part of their aim is making the business case for Haskell (meaning many of the resources are geared towards management), which I realize is not exactly what you asked for. But hopefully you'll find something there that can help.

Best,
Eric

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Nick Vanderweit <nick.vanderweit <at> gmail.com> wrote:
I'd be interested in more studies in this space. Does anyone know of
empirical studies on program robustness vs. other languages?

Nick

On 09/23/2013 11:31 AM, MigMit wrote:
> The classical reference is, I think, the paper “Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ... An Experiment in Software Prototyping Productivity”
>
> On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm <at> mired.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for articles that provide some technical support for why Haskell rocks. Not just cheerleading, but something with a bit of real information in it - a comparison of code snippets in multiple languages, or the results of a study on programmer productivity (given all the noise and heat on the topic of type checking, surely there's a study somewhere that actually provides light as well), etc.
>>
>> Basically, I'd love things that would turn into an elevator pitch of "I can show you how to be X times more productive than you are using Y", and then the article provides the evidence to support that claim.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
Carter Schonwald | 26 Sep 22:22 2013
Picon

Re: Looking for numbers to support using haskell

you can also look at the CUFP talks by various folks doing haskell based businesses in the past year or several. worth watching some of them