Tony Morris | 18 Nov 01:12 2013
Picon

Canberra interest?

Hello, I am from Brisbane, Australia and it is my mission to teach
functional programming to all and especially Australia. I am tasked with
this mission by my employer, NICTA, which is funded by the Australia
government.

With support from NICTA, I usually run (free) courses to assist in this
mission and have done so in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. However, I
often wonder about any interest in Canberra. I do not find any user
interest groups related to Functional Programming or language-specific
such as Haskell when I search, so I was hoping to seek out any
expressions of interest here.

Are any of you from Canberra? If so, are you interested in learning more
about functional programming? Would you be interested in attending a 2
or 3 day workshop? Do you have peers who would also be interested? If
these people exist, how might I contact them?

Thanks for any tips!

Tony Morris
http://tmorris.net/
Ben Lippmeier | 18 Nov 02:32 2013
Picon

Re: Canberra interest?

[...]

I am from Canberra originally.

On the academic side, talk to:

Clem Baker-Finch -- teaches programming languages at ANU.

Uwe Zimmer -- teaches first year programming in Haskell at ANU.

Also anyone who is tutoring for them.

There are also FP people in the RSISE/NICTA lab, but they are more experienced researchers that don't need
the basics of functional programming taught to them. Eg:

Michael Norrish -- is associated with the L4 verified project here in Sydney.

At one time Alex Mason was organising some FP events from Canberra, but I haven't heard anything about him for a year or more. I suspect he's graduated by now (was an undergrad at ANU).

Ben.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 18 Nov 08:12 2013
Picon

Re: Canberra interest?

On 18 November 2013 12:32, Ben Lippmeier <benl <at> ouroborus.net> wrote:

> On 18/11/2013, at 11:12 AM, Tony Morris wrote:
>
> Hello, I am from Brisbane, Australia and it is my mission to teach
> functional programming to all and especially Australia. I am tasked with
> this mission by my employer, NICTA, which is funded by the Australia
> government.
>
> With support from NICTA, I usually run (free) courses to assist in this
> mission and have done so in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. However, I
> often wonder about any interest in Canberra. I do not find any user
> interest groups related to Functional Programming or language-specific
> such as Haskell when I search, so I was hoping to seek out any
> expressions of interest here.
>
> Are any of you from Canberra? If so, are you interested in learning more
> about functional programming? Would you be interested in attending a 2
> or 3 day workshop? Do you have peers who would also be interested? If
> these people exist, how might I contact them?
>

> I am from Canberra originally.
>
> On the academic side, talk to:
>
> Clem Baker-Finch -- teaches programming languages at ANU.
> http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3877
> http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP3610/
>
> Uwe Zimmer -- teaches first year programming in Haskell at ANU.
> https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/zimmer-ur
> http://cs.anu.edu.au/student/comp1100/index.html
>
> Also anyone who is tutoring for them.
>
> There are also FP people in the RSISE/NICTA lab, but they are more
> experienced researchers that don't need
> the basics of functional programming taught to them. Eg:
>
> Michael Norrish -- is associated with the L4 verified project here in
> Sydney.
> http://nicta.com.au/people/norrishm
>
> At one time Alex Mason was organising some FP events from Canberra, but I
> haven't heard anything about him for a year or more. I suspect he's
> graduated by now (was an undergrad at ANU).

There's also me.  The CLUG group has a programmers SIG night second
Thursday every month, but might also be interested in general:
http://clug.org.au/ (admittedly I haven't been to any in a while due
to conflicting schedules, but I keep meaning to go and do a parsing
combinators talk...)

> Ben.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
Conrad Parker | 18 Nov 08:15 2013

Re: Canberra interest?

to conflicting schedules, but I keep meaning to go and do a parsing
combinators talk...)

Does that make it a lazy parsing combinators talk?

Conrad.
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 18 Nov 08:16 2013
Picon

Re: Canberra interest?

On 18 November 2013 18:15, Conrad Parker <conrad <at> metadecks.org> wrote:

> On 18 November 2013 18:12, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://clug.org.au/ (admittedly I haven't been to any in a while due
>> to conflicting schedules, but I keep meaning to go and do a parsing
>> combinators talk...)
>

> Does that make it a lazy parsing combinators talk?

*groan*

> Conrad.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com