Hans Höglund | 28 Dec 16:47 2013
Picon

Name for the following combinators?

Dear all,

Recently I have found myself using these two combinators a lot: http://lpaste.net/97643

They basically allow composition of any m satisfying (Monad m, Traversable m). I have been thinking about
moving them to a separate package and giving them better names (in the original paper, they are simply
called join and bind).

Does anyone have a better suggestion for the name of the package, module and the two combinators? Should
they be called joinDefault, or simply called join and bind to be imported with a qualifier? This might be a
bicycle-shed question, but I tend to find stylistic questions important when it comes to improving
clarity and readability.

Best wishes,
Hans
Tom Ellis | 28 Dec 16:58 2013
Picon

Re: Name for the following combinators?

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:47:40PM +0100, Hans Höglund wrote:
> Recently I have found myself using these two combinators a lot: http://lpaste.net/97643

FYI it looks a lot like these give rise to a monad transformer.

Tom
Tom Ellis | 28 Dec 17:13 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 03:58:10PM +0000, Tom Ellis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:47:40PM +0100, Hans Höglund wrote:
> > Recently I have found myself using these two combinators a lot: http://lpaste.net/97643
>
> FYI it looks a lot like these give rise to a monad transformer.

Specifically, the following.  Careful though: I haven't made any effort to
check this satisfies the monad or transformer laws.

If 'Wrap m n' genuinely satisfies the monad laws then you don't need new
combinators.  Just Wrap the type constructors and get a real monad.  (If
'Wrap m' is genuinely a monad transformer, so much the better!)

Tom

import Control.Monad.Trans (MonadTrans, lift)
import Control.Monad (join)
import qualified Data.Traversable as T
import Data.Traversable (Traversable)

data Wrap m n a = Wrap (m (n a))

unwrap :: Wrap m n a -> m (n a)
unwrap (Wrap m) = m

mbind :: (Monad m, Monad n, Functor m, Traversable n)
         => (a -> m (n b)) -> m (n a) -> m (n b)
mbind = (join .) . fmap . (fmap join .) . T.mapM

instance (Functor m, Traversable n, Monad m, Monad n) => Monad (Wrap m n)
(Continue reading)

Tom Ellis | 28 Dec 17:18 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:13:52PM +0000, Tom Ellis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 03:58:10PM +0000, Tom Ellis wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:47:40PM +0100, Hans Höglund wrote:
> > > Recently I have found myself using these two combinators a lot: http://lpaste.net/97643
> >
> > FYI it looks a lot like these give rise to a monad transformer.
>
> Specifically, the following.  Careful though: I haven't made any effort to
> check this satisfies the monad or transformer laws.

In fact, since is is 'n' that requires the 'Monad' constraint, I suspect
you'll need to swap the order of the type arguments to get a monad
transformer:

    data Wrap n m a = Wrap (m (n a))

Anyway, my main point remains: your first check should be whether what you
have can be captured as a genuine monad.

> import Control.Monad.Trans (MonadTrans, lift)
> import Control.Monad (join)
> import qualified Data.Traversable as T
> import Data.Traversable (Traversable)
>
> data Wrap m n a = Wrap (m (n a))
>
> unwrap :: Wrap m n a -> m (n a)
> unwrap (Wrap m) = m
>
> mbind :: (Monad m, Monad n, Functor m, Traversable n)
(Continue reading)

Tom Ellis | 28 Dec 17:21 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:18:30PM +0000, Tom Ellis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:13:52PM +0000, Tom Ellis wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI it looks a lot like these give rise to a monad transformer.
> >
> > Specifically, the following.  Careful though: I haven't made any effort to
> > check this satisfies the monad or transformer laws.
>
> In fact, since is is 'n' that requires the 'Monad' constraint, I suspect
> you'll need to swap the order of the type arguments to get a monad
> transformer:

I keep typing too fast.  I mean "it is 'n' that requires the *Traversable*
constraint".
Erik Hesselink | 28 Dec 19:46 2013
Picon

Re: Name for the following combinators?

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Tom Ellis
<tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 <at> jaguarpaw.co.uk> wrote:
> data Wrap m n a = Wrap (m (n a))

This is Compose [0] from traversable. It doesn't have a Monad
instance, though...

Erik

[0] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/transformers-0.3.0.0/docs/Data-Functor-Compose.html

Gmane