Bryan O'Sullivan | 24 Jan 00:02 2014

hpaste.org is expiring

I've held the domain for a few years. I am not going to renew it. If you'd like to take it over, please let me know immediately and I'll send you an unlock code so you can transfer it.
Rob Stewart | 24 Jan 00:12 2014
Picon

Re: hpaste.org is expiring

If no-one is able to pick up this domain, could hpaste be moved with
the haskell.org infrastructure, i.e. hpaste.haskell.org ?

On 23 January 2014 23:02, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> wrote:
> I've held the domain for a few years. I am not going to renew it. If you'd
> like to take it over, please let me know immediately and I'll send you an
> unlock code so you can transfer it.

Brandon Allbery | 24 Jan 01:22 2014
Picon

Re: hpaste.org is expiring

If no-one is able to pick up this domain, could hpaste be moved with
the haskell.org infrastructure, i.e. hpaste.haskell.org ?

I think you might be a little confused as to what is going on? The point is keeping a name alive that is widely linked so that those links don't break.

hpaste,org is the old (and widely linked) name of what is currently lpaste.net. This serves more than the Haskell community; while it might make sense to have *a* name for it in the haskell.org namespace, it may not be appropriate for that to be the *only* name --- and in any case, that question would be applicable to lpaste.net, not hpaste.org. (And then we'd have the same problem anyway as there are existing links to lpaste.net that people would want to keep live.)

[Semi-aside: apparently Central Michigan University tried at one point to claim that they should have the cmu.edu domain because they were more well known than Carnegie Mellon (the .edu registrar has procedures for this). Eventually someone pointed out to them just how many computer science links go to cmu.edu, and that they would be obligated to handle those links in some way that did not bring down on them the wrath of many, many people. Arbitrarily breaking links is a bad thing on the modern Internet.]

Jeremy Shaw | 24 Jan 01:04 2014

Re: hpaste.org is expiring

I'll take it.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos <at> serpentine.com> wrote:
> I've held the domain for a few years. I am not going to renew it. If you'd
> like to take it over, please let me know immediately and I'll send you an
> unlock code so you can transfer it.

Bryan O'Sullivan | 24 Jan 05:58 2014

Re: hpaste.org is expiring