Alexander Berntsen | 31 Jan 13:19 2014
Picon

What game libraries should I use?

I need:
-2D graphics (preferably with simple shapes available)
-menus (I can make menus myself with shapes though)
-simple audio
-fonts (better than Gloss at least)
-keyboard input
-networking (simple direct connections between two computers)

I need to be able to express my game system as declaratively as
possible[0].

If the library is based on SDL/OpenGL, that would be nice[1]. This is,
however, not necessary.

What game libraries are the most mature and adequate for this? The
only library I have used previously with Haskell is Gloss. I am not
experienced in FRP, though I have read about and somewhat groked the
point. I am willing to learn an FRP library.

[0]  I am writing it as part of a thesis in which I will look at the
modularity and expressiveness of purely functional programming
compared to object-oriented programming. Writing code that is
technically purely functional, but in practice looks like imperative
code, is sub-optimal.
[1]  For the thesis I am writing, I am implementing a C++ version of
the same game. This will probably use SDL 2.0 and OpenGL bindings. If
the Haskell version could use libraries based on that, this would make
it easier for me to write my thesis. I.e., I would not have to spend
time justifying that the modularity and expressiveness I am
(Continue reading)

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 31 Jan 15:11 2014
Picon

Re: What game libraries should I use?

On 31/01/14 12:19, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
> I need:
> -2D graphics (preferably with simple shapes available)
> -menus (I can make menus myself with shapes though)
> -simple audio
> -fonts (better than Gloss at least)
> -keyboard input
> -networking (simple direct connections between two computers)
>
> I need to be able to express my game system as declaratively as
> possible[0].
>
> If the library is based on SDL/OpenGL, that would be nice[1]. This is,
> however, not necessary.
>
> What game libraries are the most mature and adequate for this? The
> only library I have used previously with Haskell is Gloss. I am not
> experienced in FRP, though I have read about and somewhat groked the
> point. I am willing to learn an FRP library.
>

> [0]  I am writing it as part of a thesis in which I will look at the
> modularity and expressiveness of purely functional programming
> compared to object-oriented programming. Writing code that is
> technically purely functional, but in practice looks like imperative
> code, is sub-optimal.
> [1]  For the thesis I am writing, I am implementing a C++ version of
> the same game. This will probably use SDL 2.0 and OpenGL bindings. If
> the Haskell version could use libraries based on that, this would make
> it easier for me to write my thesis. I.e., I would not have to spend
(Continue reading)

Alexander Berntsen | 31 Jan 15:38 2014

On 31/01/14 15:11, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> I don't have an answer for you but your requirement of ‘as
> declarative as possible’ clashes with ‘SDL/OpenGL’.
Gloss is on top of OpenGL, and it lets me express myself in a
declarative manner. See [0] for an example.

[0]  <https://github.com/plaimi/bweakfwu>.

Alexander
alexander <at> plaimi.net
http://plaimi.net/~alexander
Simon Michael | 31 Jan 19:52 2014

Re: What game libraries should I use?

FunGEn (http://joyful.com/fungen) is (amazingly) still the most
mature/complete Haskell games library as far as I know. I'm curious to
know if you agree, or if I'm wrong.
Alfredo Di Napoli | 1 Feb 13:11 2014
Picon

Re: What game libraries should I use?

The Haskell bindings to SFML might be of your interest:

A.

On 31 January 2014 18:52, Simon Michael <simon <at> joyful.com> wrote:
FunGEn (http://joyful.com/fungen) is (amazingly) still the most mature/complete Haskell games library as far as I know. I'm curious to know if you agree, or if I'm wrong.

Fumiaki Kinoshita | 3 Feb 01:59 2014
Picon

Re: What game libraries should I use?

My free-game package has Gloss-like but far more generalized APIs[0].

When you define some series of instructions to draw something, you can move then, turn them, or compose them without touching the insides!

[0] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/free-game-1.0.1/docs/FreeGame.html#t:Picture2D

2014年1月31日金曜日 21時19分22秒 UTC+9 Alexander Berntsen: