Obscaenvs | 19 Feb 10:40 2014
Picon

Haskell-platform release information

I'd like a pointer to some place containing information as to why the
new HP is delayed (although I have my suspicions the reason being Xcode
5), and if there is a new schedule. Why isn't there a pointer on [1]? If
one can't stay on schedule, which is sometimes understandable and I
guess in this case highly so, then some info as to why this is is the
least damage control one could do. But maybe there is such info already,
and I am just unable to find it - except for the by now rather old
discussion [2].

/fredrik

[1] http://www.haskell.org/platform/
[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-platform <at> projects.haskell.org/msg02594.html

bugthunk.net
 <at> bugthunk
Dan Frumin | 19 Feb 10:53 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell-platform release information

I recon that it's delayed because the GHC release is delayed.
I agree that a website update describing the delay would be nice

> On 19 Feb 2014, at 13:40, Obscaenvs <obscaenvs <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like a pointer to some place containing information as to why the
> new HP is delayed (although I have my suspicions the reason being Xcode
> 5), and if there is a new schedule. Why isn't there a pointer on [1]? If
> one can't stay on schedule, which is sometimes understandable and I
> guess in this case highly so, then some info as to why this is is the
> least damage control one could do. But maybe there is such info already,
> and I am just unable to find it - except for the by now rather old
> discussion [2].
>
> /fredrik
>
> [1] http://www.haskell.org/platform/
> [2]
> https://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-platform <at> projects.haskell.org/msg02594.html
>
> --
> bugthunk.net
>  <at> bugthunk
Brandon Allbery | 19 Feb 15:55 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell-platform release information

I'd like a pointer to some place containing information as to why the
new HP is delayed (although I have my suspicions the reason being Xcode
5), and if there is a new schedule.

I don't know why a general status update was not sent out or put on the web, but a decision was reached to skip to the next normal release in April. Xcode 5 and ghc 7.8 were part of it but not all of it; there were also issues involving (insufficient testing of?) recent changes to aeson and text and how they impacted other packages in the Platform, IIRC.

Obscaenvs | 19 Feb 16:31 2014

Le 2014-02-19 15:55, Brandon Allbery a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Obscaenvs <obscaenvs <at> gmail.com
> <mailto:obscaenvs <at> gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'd like a pointer to some place containing information as to why the
>     new HP is delayed (although I have my suspicions the reason being Xcode
>     5), and if there is a new schedule.
>

> I don't know why a general status update was not sent out or put on the
> web, but a decision was reached to skip to the next normal release in
> April. Xcode 5 and ghc 7.8 were part of it but not all of it; there were
> also issues involving (insufficient testing of?) recent changes to aeson
> and text and how they impacted other packages in the Platform, IIRC.

Thank you for the answer! Should I interpret this as 2014.2.0.0 being
postponed? In that case 2013.4.0.0 is skipped altogether...or?

This means - *if* this is correct - that I am stuck with 2013.2.0.0 for
some time yet. Ah, well :)

> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
> allbery.b <at> gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b <at> gmail.com>
>          ballbery <at> sinenomine.net <mailto:ballbery <at> sinenomine.net>
> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net

Brandon Allbery | 19 Feb 16:46 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Obscaenvs <obscaenvs <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Le 2014-02-19 15:55, Brandon Allbery a écrit :
> I don't know why a general status update was not sent out or put on the
> web, but a decision was reached to skip to the next normal release in
> April. Xcode 5 and ghc 7.8 were part of it but not all of it; there were
> also issues involving (insufficient testing of?) recent changes to aeson
> and text and how they impacted other packages in the Platform, IIRC.

Thank you for the answer! Should I interpret this as 2014.2.0.0 being
postponed? In that case 2013.4.0.0 is skipped altogether...or?

2013.4.0.0 was completely skipped. The next normal release would be 2014.2.0.0 by recent timing (the slots for the others are reserved but not generally used); beyond that you probably want to ask for something official (and for them to make a public announcement...) on the libraries <at> haskell.org list.

(Also please note, I am not involved with the libraries or HP process, I'm just relaying what I recall reading. Check libraries <at> haskell.org archives or ask there for the real story.)