dabd | 23 Feb 16:24 2014
Picon

Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

Hi,

I am currently reading through Packer documentation http://www.packer.io/ and vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/.

I would like to set up a minimal reproducible Haskell development environment on Manjaro Linux (64-bit) running on VirtualBox.

Does anyone have a Packer template for this distro or a Vagrant box for Haskell development on any other distro?

Thanks.
Christian Laustsen | 24 Feb 14:13 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

dabd <dario.rehman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am currently reading through Packer documentation http://www.packer.io/
> and vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/.
>
> I would like to set up a minimal reproducible Haskell development
> environment on Manjaro Linux (64-bit) running on VirtualBox.
>

> Does anyone have a Packer template for this distro or a Vagrant box
>for Haskell development on any other distro?
>
> Thanks.

Setting up your own vagrant box is fairly straight forward, you can
then just install the tools you want to always be available and then
use that as a base box.

I recently went through itself myself and wrote an article[0] about it, it
should be easy to follow and just change the distro I used (Debian) with
whatever you want.

Since you mentioned packer.io this might also be relevant to
you https://github.com/opscode/bento ..

//Christian

[0] http://codetalk.io/blog/5/deploying-with-vagrant

dabd | 24 Feb 18:41 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

Thanks. I am also reading about provisioning tools like Chef, Puppet and Ansible.  So far I liked Ansible the most because it looks simpler.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 1:13:58 PM UTC, Christian Laustsen wrote:
dabd <dario.rehman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am currently reading through Packer documentation http://www.packer.io/
> and vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/
>
> I would like to set up a minimal reproducible Haskell development
> environment on Manjaro Linux (64-bit) running on VirtualBox.
>

> Does anyone have a Packer template for this distro or a Vagrant box
>for Haskell development on any other distro?
>
> Thanks.

Setting up your own vagrant box is fairly straight forward, you can
then just install the tools you want to always be available and then
use that as a base box.

I recently went through itself myself and wrote an article[0] about it, it
should be easy to follow and just change the distro I used (Debian) with
whatever you want.

Since you mentioned packer.io this might also be relevant to
you https://github.com/opscode/bento ..

//Christian

[0] http://codetalk.io/blog/5/deploying-with-vagrant

dabd | 25 Feb 03:19 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

I followed your nice post and made a minimal debian machine with haskell installed (skipped the ruby and puppet stuff).

I had some problems installing debian jessie on virtualbox but managed to get there by first installing debian stable and then upgrading to jessie.

It would be nice to be able to automate the whole process of creating a box with packer and vagrant. I may attempt to do this using ansible instead of puppet or chef.

Thanks.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 5:41:05 PM UTC, dabd wrote:
Thanks. I am also reading about provisioning tools like Chef, Puppet and Ansible.  So far I liked Ansible the most because it looks simpler.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 1:13:58 PM UTC, Christian Laustsen wrote:
dabd <dario.rehman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am currently reading through Packer documentation http://www.packer.io/
> and vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/
>
> I would like to set up a minimal reproducible Haskell development
> environment on Manjaro Linux (64-bit) running on VirtualBox.
>

> Does anyone have a Packer template for this distro or a Vagrant box
>for Haskell development on any other distro?
>
> Thanks.

Setting up your own vagrant box is fairly straight forward, you can
then just install the tools you want to always be available and then
use that as a base box.

I recently went through itself myself and wrote an article[0] about it, it
should be easy to follow and just change the distro I used (Debian) with
whatever you want.

Since you mentioned packer.io this might also be relevant to
you https://github.com/opscode/bento ..

//Christian

[0] http://codetalk.io/blog/5/deploying-with-vagrant

Alexander Solla | 25 Feb 04:12 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

I'm doing something similar.  I'm using Vagrant with SaltStack to do my configuration management.  I would recommend you do the same (or similar, with puppet/chef/etc).  I went through quite a bit of pain at one point when I lost track of a machine's configuration, and I don't want to repeat that experience.  Also, SaltStack has a nice provisioning system.

I followed your nice post and made a minimal debian machine with haskell installed (skipped the ruby and puppet stuff).

I had some problems installing debian jessie on virtualbox but managed to get there by first installing debian stable and then upgrading to jessie.

It would be nice to be able to automate the whole process of creating a box with packer and vagrant. I may attempt to do this using ansible instead of puppet or chef.

Thanks.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 5:41:05 PM UTC, dabd wrote:
Thanks. I am also reading about provisioning tools like Chef, Puppet and Ansible.  So far I liked Ansible the most because it looks simpler.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 1:13:58 PM UTC, Christian Laustsen wrote:
dabd <dario.rehman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am currently reading through Packer documentation http://www.packer.io/
> and vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/
>
> I would like to set up a minimal reproducible Haskell development
> environment on Manjaro Linux (64-bit) running on VirtualBox.
>

> Does anyone have a Packer template for this distro or a Vagrant box
>for Haskell development on any other distro?
>
> Thanks.

Setting up your own vagrant box is fairly straight forward, you can
then just install the tools you want to always be available and then
use that as a base box.

I recently went through itself myself and wrote an article[0] about it, it
should be easy to follow and just change the distro I used (Debian) with
whatever you want.

Since you mentioned packer.io this might also be relevant to
you https://github.com/opscode/bento ..

//Christian

[0] http://codetalk.io/blog/5/deploying-with-vagrant

dabd | 25 Feb 15:36 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

I read here a comparison of salt vs ansible. It looks like ansible is simpler, especially when dealing with execution order and dependencies.

I'm doing something similar.  I'm using Vagrant with SaltStack to do my configuration management.  I would recommend you do the same (or similar, with puppet/chef/etc).  I went through quite a bit of pain at one point when I lost track of a machine's configuration, and I don't want to repeat that experience.  Also, SaltStack has a nice provisioning system.

I followed your nice post and made a minimal debian machine with haskell installed (skipped the ruby and puppet stuff).

I had some problems installing debian jessie on virtualbox but managed to get there by first installing debian stable and then upgrading to jessie.

It would be nice to be able to automate the whole process of creating a box with packer and vagrant. I may attempt to do this using ansible instead of puppet or chef.

Thanks.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 5:41:05 PM UTC, dabd wrote:
Thanks. I am also reading about provisioning tools like Chef, Puppet and Ansible.  So far I liked Ansible the most because it looks simpler.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 1:13:58 PM UTC, Christian Laustsen wrote:
dabd <dario.rehman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am currently reading through Packer documentation http://www.packer.io/
> and vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/
>
> I would like to set up a minimal reproducible Haskell development
> environment on Manjaro Linux (64-bit) running on VirtualBox.
>

> Does anyone have a Packer template for this distro or a Vagrant box
>for Haskell development on any other distro?
>
> Thanks.

Setting up your own vagrant box is fairly straight forward, you can
then just install the tools you want to always be available and then
use that as a base box.

I recently went through itself myself and wrote an article[0] about it, it
should be easy to follow and just change the distro I used (Debian) with
whatever you want.

Since you mentioned packer.io this might also be relevant to
you https://github.com/opscode/bento ..

//Christian

[0] http://codetalk.io/blog/5/deploying-with-vagrant

Alexander Solla | 25 Feb 16:10 2014
Picon

Re: Haskell minimal (portable) development environment

I read here a comparison of salt vs ansible. It looks like ansible is simpler, especially when dealing with execution order and dependencies.

That's nice and good.  Use the tool you want.  I'm just saying configuration management is too important to not automate and backup. :)
Simon Marechal | 25 Feb 16:05 2014

On 02/25/2014 04:12 AM, Alexander Solla wrote:
> I'm doing something similar.  I'm using Vagrant with SaltStack to do my
> configuration management.  I would recommend you do the same (or
> similar, with puppet/chef/etc).  I went through quite a bit of pain at
> one point when I lost track of a machine's configuration, and I don't
> want to repeat that experience.  Also, SaltStack has a nice provisioning
> system.

That might not be relevant to your interests, and this is definitely
self promotion. If you were to use Puppet, you would find that you have
a large toolkit in Haskell here :

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/language-puppet

Among other things, you might like lenses that might be used to refactor
your manifests, and a (currently under development) testing system built
upon hspec. This still requires a ruby library on your system though.

Gmane