Joey Eremondi | 28 Feb 21:22 2014
Picon

Scaling Haskell/Yesod on OpenShift

I was wondering, does anyone have experience with using Haskell/Yesod on the OpenShift PaaS? I've seen the Haskell and Yesod cartridges, but I'm wondering if there's any way to get Haskell playing nice with their load-balancing and automatic scaling capabilities? Would CloudHaskell be useful at all in this?

I'm reasonably experienced with Haskell but very new to Cloud computing and Web stuff, so any advice, even if basic, is helpful. Thanks!
Michael Snoyman | 2 Mar 07:43 2014

Re: Scaling Haskell/Yesod on OpenShift

I was wondering, does anyone have experience with using Haskell/Yesod on the OpenShift PaaS? I've seen the Haskell and Yesod cartridges, but I'm wondering if there's any way to get Haskell playing nice with their load-balancing and automatic scaling capabilities? Would CloudHaskell be useful at all in this?

I'm reasonably experienced with Haskell but very new to Cloud computing and Web stuff, so any advice, even if basic, is helpful. Thanks!

I have no experience with OpenShift. But if you avoid using shared-memory operations and instead store shared data in an out-of-process database, scaling horizontally should be possible by just using the load balancer. CloudHaskell could certainly be used for some tasks, but in my experience, most web applications fall into the embarrassingly parallelizable category, where simply throwing a few more machines at the problem works.

Michael