Rouan van Dalen | 18 Mar 11:53 2014
Picon

linking warnings when using regex-posix package in GHCi 7.8.1 RC2

Hi Cafe,

I have the following program:

=========================

module Main where

   import Text.Regex.Posix

   main = do
      putStrLn "!!!"

=========================

When I run the main function from within GHCi, I get the following output from GHCi:

=========================

<interactive>: warning: isupper from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isupper
<interactive>: warning: toupper from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_toupper
<interactive>: warning: tolower from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_tolower
<interactive>: warning: isalpha from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isalpha
<interactive>: warning: isalpha from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isalpha
<interactive>: warning: isalpha from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isalpha
<interactive>: warning: iscntrl from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_iscntrl
<interactive>: warning: isupper from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isupper
<interactive>: warning: isgraph from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isgraph
<interactive>: warning: isprint from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isprint
<interactive>: warning: ispunct from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_ispunct
<interactive>: warning: isalnum from msvcrt is linked instead of __imp_isalnum
[...]
done.
!!!
*Main>

=========================

Does anyone have an idea why GHCi is even linking against msvcrt?
And is there a way to fix this?

I am using GHC 7.8.1 RC2 x64 on Windows 8 x64

Regards
--Rouan
kyra | 18 Mar 12:48 2014
Picon

Re: linking warnings when using regex-posix package in GHCi 7.8.1 RC2

See more on this here: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2283,
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7097.

I'm the author of this. Unfortunately, this is broken in 7.8rc2.
References are resolved correctly, and it is possible to load all
modules (which was impossible before), but if any foreign code use them
it segfaults.

I've put a patch that fixes things here:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/attachment/ticket/2283/indirect_link_windows.patch.

Hope it will be committed and merged to 7.8 soon.

Cheers,
Kyra

On 3/18/2014 14:53, Rouan van Dalen wrote:
> [...]
> __imp_isalnum
> <interactive>: warning: isalnum from msvcrt is linked instead of
> __imp_isalnum
> <interactive>: warning: isalnum from msvcrt is linked instead of
> __imp_isalnum
> <interactive>: warning: isalnum from msvcrt is linked instead of
> __imp_isalnum
> <interactive>: warning: isalnum from msvcrt is linked instead of
> __imp_isalnum
> <interactive>: warning: isalnum from msvcrt is linked instead of
> __imp_isalnum
> done.
> !!!
> *Main>
>
> =========================
>
> Does anyone have an idea why GHCi is even linking against msvcrt?
> And is there a way to fix this?
>
> I am using GHC 7.8.1 RC2 x64 on Windows 8 x64

Rouan van Dalen | 18 Mar 13:15 2014
Picon

Re: linking warnings when using regex-posix

Thanks Kyra,

I appreciate the feedback.
Good to know it is in the process of being fixed.

Regards
--Rouan