Alberto Ruiz | 20 Jun 18:36 2014
Picon

ANN: hmatrix-0.16

Hi!

I am happy to announce the release of hmatrix-0.16, a Haskell package
for matrix computations and numeric linear algebra.

New features:

- BSD3 license. The modules depending on GSL have been moved to a new
package hmatrix-gsl (GPL). Now hmatrix depends only on BLAS/LAPACK.

- Simpler reexport modules with improved documentation and usage
examples. There are a few API changes but the traditional modules are
also exposed for backwards compatibility.

- Alternative interface using type-level literals for static dimension
checking and inference (work in progress).

- Initial support for sparse linear systems.

- Minor improvements and bug fixes (see the changelog for details).

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix

https://github.com/albertoruiz/hmatrix

Some examples: http://dis.um.es/~alberto/hmatrix/hmatrix.html

Suggestions, contributions, and bug reports are welcome.

Thanks!
(Continue reading)

Dominic Steinitz | 22 Jun 12:37 2014

Re: ANN: hmatrix-0.16

Alberto Ruiz <aruiz <at> um.es> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am happy to announce the release of hmatrix-0.16, a Haskell package
> for matrix computations and numeric linear algebra.

Very nice
Alp Mestanogullari | 24 Jun 14:10 2014
Picon

Re: ANN: hmatrix-0.16

Thanks a lot for the work on moving the gsl bits out, hnn 0.2 released :-)

[...]

Alberto

Alp Mestanogullari
Mateusz Kowalczyk | 24 Jun 14:28 2014
Picon

Re: ANN: hmatrix-0.16

On 06/20/2014 06:36 PM, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am happy to announce the release of hmatrix-0.16, a Haskell package
> for matrix computations and numeric linear algebra.
>
> New features:
>
> - BSD3 license. The modules depending on GSL have been moved to a new
> package hmatrix-gsl (GPL). Now hmatrix depends only on BLAS/LAPACK.
>
> - Simpler reexport modules with improved documentation and usage
> examples. There are a few API changes but the traditional modules are
> also exposed for backwards compatibility.
>
> - Alternative interface using type-level literals for static dimension
> checking and inference (work in progress).
>
> - Initial support for sparse linear systems.
>
> - Minor improvements and bug fixes (see the changelog for details).
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix
>
> https://github.com/albertoruiz/hmatrix
>
> Some examples: http://dis.um.es/~alberto/hmatrix/hmatrix.html
>
> Suggestions, contributions, and bug reports are welcome.
>
> Thanks!
> Alberto

It is great to see an example page: I have tried to use hmatrix in the
past for what should have been simple matrix/vector
multiplication/addition but quickly became frustrated unable to figure
out how to use it so I ended up writing my own (only needed few
operations to try something out).

I suggest that you put the link to that page in the description of the
package so it shows on Hackage, on this[1] page.

Secondly, I note that some modules (not all) such as
Numeric.Container[2] give the missing documentation page when clicked
on. Is this intentional? If I click back to something like version
0.14.x and click on Numeric.Container, I get documentation as I would
expect.

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix
[2]:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix-0.16.0.3/docs/Numeric-Container.html

Mateusz K.
Alberto Ruiz | 24 Jun 19:51 2014
Picon

Re: ANN: hmatrix-0.16

On 06/24/2014 02:28 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> On 06/20/2014 06:36 PM, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am happy to announce the release of hmatrix-0.16, a Haskell package
>> for matrix computations and numeric linear algebra.
>>
>> New features:
>>
>> - BSD3 license. The modules depending on GSL have been moved to a new
>> package hmatrix-gsl (GPL). Now hmatrix depends only on BLAS/LAPACK.
>>
>> - Simpler reexport modules with improved documentation and usage
>> examples. There are a few API changes but the traditional modules are
>> also exposed for backwards compatibility.
>>
>> - Alternative interface using type-level literals for static dimension
>> checking and inference (work in progress).
>>
>> - Initial support for sparse linear systems.
>>
>> - Minor improvements and bug fixes (see the changelog for details).
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix
>>
>> https://github.com/albertoruiz/hmatrix
>>
>> Some examples: http://dis.um.es/~alberto/hmatrix/hmatrix.html
>>
>> Suggestions, contributions, and bug reports are welcome.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Alberto

> It is great to see an example page: I have tried to use hmatrix in the
> past for what should have been simple matrix/vector
> multiplication/addition but quickly became frustrated unable to figure
> out how to use it so I ended up writing my own (only needed few
> operations to try something out).
>
> I suggest that you put the link to that page in the description of the
> package so it shows on Hackage, on this[1] page.

Thanks!

> Secondly, I note that some modules (not all) such as
> Numeric.Container[2] give the missing documentation page when clicked
> on. Is this intentional? If I click back to something like version
> 0.14.x and click on Numeric.Container, I get documentation as I would
> expect.
>
> [1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix
> [2]:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix-0.16.0.3/docs/Numeric-Container.html

Those modules are exposed for backwards compatibility but don't provide
a good documentation structure. Their haddock pages are now hidden in
the documentation locally generated by cabal install. We should only see
four better organized reexport modules.

For some reason the {-# OPTIONS_HADDOCK hide #-} pragma works in a
different way in the Hackage server and all exposed modules are shown,
making the online documentation even more confusing than before :(

Gmane