Sven Bartscher | 9 Jul 23:33 2014
Picon

Taking over setlocale

Greetings,

I would like to take over the setlocale package. Following the steps
described on http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package I
need to state my intention on a public forum.

The original author (Lukas Mai) published his package in the Public
Domain. This would be fine, but the Author seems to be living in
Germany. The problem with that is that in Germany an author is not
allowed to give up his copyright in this way. This means the licensing
of the package defaults to "All rights reserved", making the package
undistributable.

I already tried to contact the author about this problem, but he didn't
respond in a week. This isn't a very long time, but I didn't get an
answer on past attempts to contact him (this was at least a month, but
probably more, ago).

To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the same API
under the BSD3-clause.

PS: Please keep the CC to Lukas Mai and the debian-haskell list
    intact.

Regards
Sven

Carter Schonwald | 9 Jul 23:56 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

a) thats not how taking over maintainer ship works

taking over a package without the maintainers permission requires the maintainer being unreachable  for 6-12 months (or longer)

[...]

Gershom Bazerman | 10 Jul 02:06 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

a) thats not how taking over maintainer ship works

taking over a package without the maintainers permission requires the maintainer being unreachable  for 6-12 months (or longer)

The guideline there is "a reasonable time". That is much closer to 1 month than 6-12 months. I think one week is a bit short, but overall sven seems to be following the process well, and given the last update date on that package, we should still give a reasonable time to respond, but I would err on the side of brevity if anything.

--Gershom

[...]

adam vogt | 10 Jul 03:14 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

Another issue with the package was also came up recently here:
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-June/023157.html>

Regards,
Adam

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Gershom Bazerman <gershomb <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/9/14, 5:56 PM, Carter Schonwald wrote:
>
> a) thats not how taking over maintainer ship works
> b) http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
> taking over a package without the maintainers permission requires the
> maintainer being unreachable  for 6-12 months (or longer)
>

> The guideline there is "a reasonable time". That is much closer to 1 month
> than 6-12 months. I think one week is a bit short, but overall sven seems to
> be following the process well, and given the last update date on that
> package, we should still give a reasonable time to respond, but I would err
> on the side of brevity if anything.
>
> --Gershom
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Sven Bartscher
> <sven.bartscher <at> weltraumschlangen.de> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I would like to take over the setlocale package. Following the steps
>> described on http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package I
>> need to state my intention on a public forum.
>>
>> The original author (Lukas Mai) published his package in the Public
>> Domain. This would be fine, but the Author seems to be living in
>> Germany. The problem with that is that in Germany an author is not
>> allowed to give up his copyright in this way. This means the licensing
>> of the package defaults to "All rights reserved", making the package
>> undistributable.
>>
>> I already tried to contact the author about this problem, but he didn't
>> respond in a week. This isn't a very long time, but I didn't get an
>> answer on past attempts to contact him (this was at least a month, but
>> probably more, ago).
>>
>> To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the same API
>> under the BSD3-clause.
>>
>> PS: Please keep the CC to Lukas Mai and the debian-haskell list
>>     intact.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sven

Sven Bartscher | 21 Aug 13:56 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 20:06:10 -0400
Gershom Bazerman <gershomb <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/9/14, 5:56 PM, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> The guideline there is "a reasonable time". That is much closer to 1
> month than 6-12 months. I think one week is a bit short, but overall
> sven seems to be following the process well, and given the last update
> date on that package, we should still give a reasonable time to respond,
> but I would err on the side of brevity if anything.

Greetings,

It's now longer than a months ago, that I send the first post about
this.
I think this is a reasonable time to respond for the maintainer.
Are there still any objections or can I now contact
admin <at> hackage.debian.org?

Regards
Sven

> > On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Sven Bartscher
> > <sven.bartscher <at> weltraumschlangen.de
> > <mailto:sven.bartscher <at> weltraumschlangen.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     Greetings,
> >
> >     I would like to take over the setlocale package. Following the steps
> >     described on
> >     http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package I
> >     need to state my intention on a public forum.
> >
> >     The original author (Lukas Mai) published his package in the Public
> >     Domain. This would be fine, but the Author seems to be living in
> >     Germany. The problem with that is that in Germany an author is not
> >     allowed to give up his copyright in this way. This means the licensing
> >     of the package defaults to "All rights reserved", making the package
> >     undistributable.
> >
> >     I already tried to contact the author about this problem, but he
> >     didn't
> >     respond in a week. This isn't a very long time, but I didn't get an
> >     answer on past attempts to contact him (this was at least a month, but
> >     probably more, ago).
> >
> >     To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the
> >     same API
> >     under the BSD3-clause.
> >
> >     PS: Please keep the CC to Lukas Mai and the debian-haskell list
> >         intact.
> >
> >     Regards
> >     Sven

Joachim Breitner | 10 Jul 09:50 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

Dear Sven,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.07.2014, 23:33 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the same API
> under the BSD3-clause.

thanks for that. Can you, independently of the hackage process, upload
that package to Debian, so that hgettext works again? I guess you’ll
want to leave out the Homepage field for now, to not make false
pretenses, but if it is API compatible there is nothing wrong with
Debian providing a different package, if the original one is unusable.

Greetings,
Joachim

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata <at> debian.org | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: F0FBF51F
  JID: nomeata <at> joachim-breitner.de | http://people.debian.org/~nomeata

Sven Bartscher | 10 Jul 10:31 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:50:38 +0200
Joachim Breitner <nomeata <at> debian.org> wrote:

> Dear Sven,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.07.2014, 23:33 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the same API
> > under the BSD3-clause.
>
> thanks for that. Can you, independently of the hackage process, upload
> that package to Debian, so that hgettext works again? I guess you’ll
> want to leave out the Homepage field for now, to not make false
> pretenses, but if it is API compatible there is nothing wrong with
> Debian providing a different package, if the original one is unusable.

Okay. For that reason I'm going to delete the original setlocale
repository from alioth and upload the new package as a native package.
Any problems with that?

Regards
Sven
Joachim Breitner | 10 Jul 10:33 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 10.07.2014, 10:31 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:50:38 +0200
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata <at> debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Dear Sven,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, den 09.07.2014, 23:33 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > > To solve this problem, I rewrote the setlocale binding with the same API
> > > under the BSD3-clause.
> >
> > thanks for that. Can you, independently of the hackage process, upload
> > that package to Debian, so that hgettext works again? I guess you’ll
> > want to leave out the Homepage field for now, to not make false
> > pretenses, but if it is API compatible there is nothing wrong with
> > Debian providing a different package, if the original one is unusable.
>
> Okay. For that reason I'm going to delete the original setlocale
> repository from alioth and upload the new package as a native package.
> Any problems with that?

it’s not a native package just because a DD is upstream; a native
package is something that makes no sense outside of Debian (think
debian-policy).

I recommend to stick to the usual procedure completely, just to reduce
friction.

Greetings,
Joachim

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata <at> debian.org | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: F0FBF51F
  JID: nomeata <at> joachim-breitner.de | http://people.debian.org/~nomeata

Sven Bartscher | 10 Jul 11:54 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:33:35 +0200
Joachim Breitner <nomeata <at> debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.07.2014, 10:31 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:50:38 +0200
> > Joachim Breitner <nomeata <at> debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Sven,

> > > thanks for that. Can you, independently of the hackage process, upload
> > > that package to Debian, so that hgettext works again? I guess you’ll
> > > want to leave out the Homepage field for now, to not make false
> > > pretenses, but if it is API compatible there is nothing wrong with
> > > Debian providing a different package, if the original one is unusable.
> >
> > Okay. For that reason I'm going to delete the original setlocale
> > repository from alioth and upload the new package as a native package.
> > Any problems with that?
>
> it’s not a native package just because a DD is upstream; a native

Thanks for calling me DD. I'm really honoured :).

> package is something that makes no sense outside of Debian (think
> debian-policy).
>
> I recommend to stick to the usual procedure completely, just to reduce
> friction.

Where would you suggest to put the upstream sources until I (hopefully)
can take it over at hackage?

Regards
Sven
Joachim Breitner | 10 Jul 12:37 2014
Picon

Re: Taking over setlocale

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 10.07.2014, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > package is something that makes no sense outside of Debian (think
> > debian-policy).
> >
> > I recommend to stick to the usual procedure completely, just to reduce
> > friction.
>
> Where would you suggest to put the upstream sources until I (hopefully)
> can take it over at hackage?

how about /home/groups/pkg-haskell/htdocs/setlocale on
alioth.debian.org?

Greetings,
Joachim

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata <at> debian.org | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: F0FBF51F
  JID: nomeata <at> joachim-breitner.de | http://people.debian.org/~nomeata

Gmane