Auke Booij | 14 Aug 02:19 2014

ANNOUNCE: hayland 0.1.0.0

I just pushed the first release of the Haskell bindings to Wayland
I've been working on to Hackage.

SHAMELESS SPAM
-----
I'm looking for a PhD position in (mathematical) type theory
(preferably in Europe). Contact me for my (interesting!) background.

What is Wayland?
-----
For those of you who have been living under a rock, X11 is probably
going to be ditched soon (porting work for GNOME, KDE, and E is
already well underway), and the graphics stack reworked, in favor of
"wayland". There will no longer be a monolithic server between the
compositor (aka window manager) and the window clients. In the new
design, the compositor *is* the central server.

The new architecture allows for proper isolation of clients (a HUGE
security improvement over X11), as well as major cleanups of code
(enabling embedded use).

Why bind to C code?
-----
In theory, wayland should only be a protocol specification (which
happens to have a reference implementation) which could be implemented
in Haskell. However, the current state of the matter is that for EGL
implementation reasons, one is forced to bind to this reference
implementation. (More precisely, the EGL libraries need to be able to
configure wayland - and such code would have to be written for every
wayland implementation.)