Mateusz Kowalczyk | 31 Aug 22:04 2014
Picon

LFM for Haskell bittorrent effort

Hi,

For this or another reason, no bittorrent libraries/clients available
today seem to suit my needs: they are either too slow, too memory
inefficient, bundled with a client which often can't run in a headless
environment or broken in some other way or don't implement all the
common BEPs. I came to the conclusion that I'll probably have to write
one. Happily, whenever I mentioned the topic in #haskell, there was
quite a bit of interest each time so I'm looking to recruit people to
join me in this effort.

First a brief overlook of what's already available in the Haskell
environment:

* Combinatorrent[1] – a rather old client, no longer maintained with the
last Hackage upload in 2010. Only supports few BEPs and was not able to
load in the .torrent file provided by Ubuntu. I have spoken to jlouis
who wrote this, you can read the conversation at [2]. He himself says
that nowadays you can do better performance wise with available
libraries. Additionally, this comes with a client on top rather than
just being a library.

* conjure – not touched since 2008

* bittorrent – seems to be the closest to what I'd like but it is still
incomplete and the library is in limbo. There is a lot of stuff that
does not work or is commented out and for various reasons the maintainer
is unavailable to help out. I have spoken to the maintainer and he
himself would like to redesign the library.

(Continue reading)

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 1 Sep 13:49 2014
Picon

Re: LFM for Haskell bittorrent effort

On 08/31/2014 09:04 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For this or another reason, no bittorrent libraries/clients available
> today seem to suit my needs: they are either too slow, too memory
> inefficient, bundled with a client which often can't run in a headless
> environment or broken in some other way or don't implement all the
> common BEPs. I came to the conclusion that I'll probably have to write
> one. Happily, whenever I mentioned the topic in #haskell, there was
> quite a bit of interest each time so I'm looking to recruit people to
> join me in this effort.
>
> [snip]

I had a few replies already which is great news for me. If you're
interested in contributing then send me your GitHub username (or SSH key
if you don't like GitHub) and I'll create an organisation later.

There is a #haskell-bittorrent channel that was previously used for the
‘bittorrent’ library which I think we can use, if you use IRC of course.

Mateusz K.