Simon Peyton-Jones | 1 Nov 10:28 2007
Picon

RE: Re: Why can't Haskell be faster?

Yes, that's right.  We'll be doing a lot more work on the code generator in the rest of this year and 2008.  Here
"we" includes Norman Ramsey and John Dias, as well as past interns Michael Adams and Ben Lippmeier, so we
have real muscle!

Simon

| > I don't think the register allocater is being rewritten so much as it is
| > being written:
|
| >From talking to Ben, who rewrote the register allocator over the
| summer, he said that the new graph based register allocator is pretty
| good. The thing that is holding it back is the CPS conversion bit,
| which was also being rewritten over the summer, but didn't get
| finished. I think these are both things which are likely to be done
| for 6.10.
|
| Thanks
|
| Neil
Paulo J. Matos | 1 Nov 14:41 2007

On 01/11/2007, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's right.  We'll be doing a lot more work on the code generator in the rest of this year and 2008.  Here
"we" includes Norman Ramsey and John Dias, as well as past interns Michael Adams and Ben Lippmeier, so we
have real muscle!

That's very good to know. I wonder where could I read more about
current state of the art on Haskell compilation techniques and about
the implementation of ghc in general?
Is there a book on it or maybe some group of papers that would aid me
to understand it?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

> Simon
>
> | > I don't think the register allocater is being rewritten so much as it is
> | > being written:
> |
> | >From talking to Ben, who rewrote the register allocator over the
> | summer, he said that the new graph based register allocator is pretty
> | good. The thing that is holding it back is the CPS conversion bit,
> | which was also being rewritten over the summer, but didn't get
> | finished. I think these are both things which are likely to be done
> | for 6.10.
> |
> | Thanks

(Continue reading)

Simon Peyton-Jones | 1 Nov 15:03 2007