Daniel Santa Cruz | 29 Mar 04:16 2012
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 220

Welcome to issue 220 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of March 18 to 24, 2012.

Quotes of the Week

   * shachaf: Type classes are a scary story that you tell new
              Haskellers so they can go to sleep at night.

   * acowley: Parametric polymorphism is the inspiring story you tell
              them to get them riled up and raring to go.
              It's like Braveheart for programmers.

   * monochrom: the purpose of types is to ban more programs

   * rostayob: I was a type constructor, then I took an arrow in the
               kind

   * shachaf: <at> let otherfoolish = not otherwise

   * flebron: Monoidal objects in the monoidal category of endofunctors
              on a category. I took a small detour through tensor
              products to understand monoidal categories better, with
              one example of such a product.
     mauke: I have no idea what you just said

   * weexplat: starts a proposal to replace launchMissiles with
               atomicDestroyBiosphere

   * monochrom: rumour: SPJ will write a thick book "A New Science of
                Kind"

   * JonathanShapiro: [on abandoning BitC] "And I *still* don't believe
                      in monads. :-)"

Top Reddit Stories

   * Starting the Mezzo Haskell Book
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 58, Comments: 28
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/pOSlR
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/ecy4O

   * First patches for iPhone cross compiler against GHC head
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 55, Comments: 27
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/OOAai
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/p7C3L

   * Retrospective thoughts on BitC by its author, and why type classes didn't work for him
     Domain: coyotos.org, Score: 44, Comments: 22
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/0sL80
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/5pCp2

   * Google Summer of Code 2012 - Haskell.org is participating
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 42, Comments: 11
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/9EwzD
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/XqcUJ

   * Conduits vs. Pipes. Using Void as an Input or Output type can reduce the number of concepts (source, sink, conduit) from 3 to 1 (pipe).
     Domain: twanvl.nl, Score: 34, Comments: 50
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/bc8RB
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/eb7oz

   * Announcing conduit 0.3
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 33, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/JrgV0
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/OsDl7

   * Haskell for embedded domain-specific languages (Functional Programming eXchange 2012)
     Domain: skillsmatter.com, Score: 31, Comments: 4
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/pSREX
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/1azVh

   * Domain theory course
     Domain: cs.nott.ac.uk, Score: 31, Comments: 5
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/5VHyG
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/o2pRC

   * ANNOUNCE: options, an easy-to-use command-line option parser
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 29, Comments: 21
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/s6ktw
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/s6ktw

   * A Case Study in Creating Rich Internet Apps in Haskell (Silk at FP eXchange 2012)
     Domain: skillsmatter.com, Score: 22, Comments: 18
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/ZdtDq
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/Ta2HQ

   * It just occurred to me that (lift .) defines a functor...
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 22, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/GMzPt
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/GMzPt

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Haskell platform: nested functions and optimization
     votes: 15, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [23] http://goo.gl/nreIr

   * newtype with RankNTypes
     votes: 14, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [24] http://goo.gl/UT9DV

   * Pattern Matching - Prolog Vs Haskell
     votes: 13, answers: 4
     Read on SO: [25] http://goo.gl/3hZV1

   * How does this definition of ArrowLoop.loop work?
     votes: 13, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [26] http://goo.gl/ocSCM

   * Data.Set : does it always know best?
     votes: 12, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/NUjkB

   * Building a histogram with haskell, many times slower than with python
     votes: 11, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/kbh5i

   * What is the scope of let when used without in?
     votes: 11, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/bNwna

   * Strange “half to even” rounding in different languages [closed]
     votes: 11, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/lnPch

   * Practical reasons for Сhurch Encoding
     votes: 10, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/xYoef

   * Can the FFI deal with arrays? If so, how?
     votes: 9, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/d4R3H

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz