Daniel Santa Cruz | 5 Apr 04:14 2012
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 221

Welcome to issue 221 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of March 25 to 31, 2012.

Quotes of the Week

   * Tekmo: Now I have a monoid in the category of problems.

   * hpc: atomically the whole thing

   * BMeph (in "announcer voice"): In a world, where orphan instances
           collide, one language holds the key to successful compilation, in
           our time.

   * thoughtpolice: if there is a question, edwardk probably has the
                    answer

   * danharaj: All I have to do is remove me from the program and it
               works.

   * anonymous: Caveat implementor.

   * ski: 'getLine :: IO String' is a recipe for how to interact with
          the world to acquire a `String'
     ski: the recipe is not the cake

Top Reddit Stories

   * My Thesis is Finally Complete! "Elm: Concurrent FRP for functional GUIs"
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 74, Comments: 31
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/yw2P9
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/yw2P9

   * ANNOUNCE: Happstack 7! (Haskell Web Framework)
     Domain: happstack.com, Score: 51, Comments: 26
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/kwcc7
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/wBBsu

   * pipes-like conduit
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 49, Comments: 84
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/nu4Tl
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/hWaCj

   * SIMD Support for the vector library
     Domain: ghc-simd.blogspot.co.uk, Score: 45, Comments: 6
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/m0PI8
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/NDq2j

   * Replacing Cabal
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 40, Comments: 7
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/ulv2o
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/86NLW

   * Summarizing the conduit questions
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 33, Comments: 13
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/lkLgF
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/uK25n

   * I love `RWST r w s (IO a) ` to ease the transition from imperative
     programming. Am I cheating?
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 31, Comments: 53
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/xq2Jn
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/xq2Jn

   * FRP - Three principles for bidirectional GUI elements
     Domain: apfelmus.nfshost.com, Score: 30, Comments: 11
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/AFbXE
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/xd4Yf

   * haskell-src-exts-1.12.0: supports the new quasi-quoter syntax
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 28, Comments: 6
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/u6ZDx
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/XTzJO

   * Why GADTs are awesome: implementing System F using HOAS
     Domain: github.com, Score: 25, Comments: 7
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/IG14P
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/62iLX

   * Reactive-banana: new major release
     Domain: apfelmus.nfshost.com, Score: 24, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/XYXvm
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/u3PAz

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Does Haskell require a garbage collector?
     votes: 40, answers: 7
     Read on SO: [23] http://goo.gl/hDNT4

   * Can you recognize an infinite list in a Haskell program? [closed]
     votes: 20, answers: 5
     Read on SO: [24] http://goo.gl/TcJHt

   * Confusion regarding a passage in the “Kinds and some type-foo”
     section of learnyouahaskell.com
     votes: 12, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [25] http://goo.gl/ldKbM

   * Haskell: Correct practice to specify version in source?
     votes: 7, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [26] http://goo.gl/eUr6X

   * How to count the number of times a fuction was called, the FP way
     votes: 7, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/OLNxy

   * how to translate Haskell into Scalaz?
     votes: 7, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/1ep62

   * In which languages is function abstraction not primitive
     votes: 7, answers: 7
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/aZG5w

   * Is it possible to debug pattern matching in a Haskell function?
     votes: 6, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/qIpDw

   * Generate cabal file with dependencies on foreign libs
     votes: 5, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/mRz1o

   * Is there a monadic version of Arbitrary to use with QuickCheck?
     votes: 5, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/1IOg4

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz