Amy de Buitléir | 2 Aug 15:50 2012
Picon

ALife category

I'm developing a framework for artificial life experiments that I would like to
make available on Hackage eventually. I've read all the guidance and proposals I
could find for where to place packages in the hierarchy:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/libraries/layout.html
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/libraries/layoutSM.html

I've also examined the current hierarchy of modules:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html

The current hierarchy has a top-level AI category, so it would seem logical to
me to add a top-level ALife category and put my package under that. But perhaps
it would be best not to start a new top-level category? I could put my package
under AI, because my framework does support the use of AI, and wouldn't look too
out of place with the other packages there.

Thoughts?
Brent Yorgey | 2 Aug 20:00 2012

Re: [Haskell] ALife category

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 01:50:50PM +0000, Amy de Buitléir wrote:
> I'm developing a framework for artificial life experiments that I would like to
> make available on Hackage eventually. I've read all the guidance and proposals I
> could find for where to place packages in the hierarchy:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names
> http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/libraries/layout.html
> http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/libraries/layoutSM.html
>
> I've also examined the current hierarchy of modules:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html
>
> The current hierarchy has a top-level AI category, so it would seem logical to
> me to add a top-level ALife category and put my package under that. But perhaps
> it would be best not to start a new top-level category? I could put my package
> under AI, because my framework does support the use of AI, and wouldn't look too
> out of place with the other packages there.

(Moving the discussion to haskell-cafe; haskell <at> haskell is generally
for announcements and such.)

It seems to me that you might be confusing two separate things.
Cabal packages may list one or more "categories", which are used to
group packages on the main list of packages:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ .  In general, I would say that
you should avoid creating a new top-level category.

Hierarchical module names are something different.  The 'Category'
specified in the .cabal file does NOT have to be the same as the first