Daniel Santa Cruz | 30 Aug 03:19 2012
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 242

Welcome to issue 242 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of August 19 to 25, 2012.

Quotes of the Week

   * srhb: I think that's going into space rather than diving into the
           deep end.

   * edwardk: normally i don't bother with little things like
              "documentation", "benchmarks" and "tests", but I recently
              discovered that when I do, I get these curious things called
              "users".

   * shachaf: "Number of comonads released by edwardk will exceed the
              number of words in the English language by 2015, experts report."

Top Reddit Stories

   * Hackage2 server ready for testing
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 75, Comments: 16
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/WTebL
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/dHkGo

   * Monads In Pictures
     Domain: newartisans.com, Score: 60, Comments: 24
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/QMfGv
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/ycmvx

   * A new fast and easy to use CSV library
(Continue reading)

Daniel Santa Cruz | 6 Sep 02:39 2012
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 234

Welcome to issue 243 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of August 26 to September 01, 2012.

Quotes of the Week

   * companion_cube: "I don't understand this article at all"
     edwardk: "Well, when you finish reading it, here's a follow-up
             article"

Top Reddit Stories

   * Parsing with Haskell and Attoparsec
     Domain: newartisans.com, Score: 64, Comments: 8
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/rrlQG
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/aHlTJ

   * FRP - Release of reactive-banana-0.7.
     Finally features dynamic event switching!
     Domain: apfelmus.nfshost.com, Score: 48, Comments: 21
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/5QnBl
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/8dnLg

   * Combinatorrent - Writing Haskell Code for Fun and Profit [InfoQ]
     Domain: infoq.com, Score: 46, Comments: 14
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/FE4OF
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/feU7U

   * Putting it all together -- Example project that pulls together
     Snap, Blaze, OpenId, IxSet, AcidState, and Sessions.
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 34, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/huFaI
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/huFaI

   * Invert the Inversion of Control
     Domain: thev.net, Score: 32, Comments: 30
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/1uO5a
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/89UnF

   * A follow up on my initial experience and why there's
     still something immensely attractive about Haskell
     Domain: binarysculpting.com, Score: 27, Comments: 19
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/3RLNO
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/81YF2

   * Haskim -- a convenient Haskell VIM distribution
     Domain: github.com, Score: 25, Comments: 19
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/9sJ3O
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/Wq0Rq

   * Introducing Perdure: persistence for acyclic immutable data
     Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 23, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/ACWDi
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/CSi57

   * Existential types and data abstraction
     Domain: iveselov.info, Score: 22, Comments:
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/K6JGl
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/GBYlW

   * I just realized that running monads is applying a left monad action
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 20, Comments: 63
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/Geus4
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/Geus4

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * How can I recover sharing in a GADT?
     votes: 14, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [21] http://goo.gl/I3cuW

   * Constructing efficient monad instances on `Set`
     (and other containers with constraints) using the continuation monad
     votes: 13, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [22] http://goo.gl/Ys4Uy

   * Numbers as multiplicative functions (weird but entertaining)
     votes: 12, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [23] http://goo.gl/yN8KN

   * Game server in Haskell
     votes: 10, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [24] http://goo.gl/QV9de

   * Why doesn't sortBy take (a -> a -> Bool)?
     votes: 10, answers: 5
     Read on SO: [25] http://goo.gl/Y7EzD

   * Default type instances referring to each other
     votes: 9, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [26] http://goo.gl/6cUG7

   * Applying a fixed-length-vector-function to the inital part of a
     longer fixed-length-vector
     votes: 9, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/03KcE

   * Haskell: example of function of type a -> a, besides the identity
     votes: 9, answers: 5
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/q2UDW

   * Stack overflow when using Haskell sort function
     votes: 8, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/D31Ku

   * How to navigate up inside a HUET Zipper
     votes: 7, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/X7dE3

   * Haskell : reference to previously updated elements of list within
     the update function
     votes: 7, answers: 6
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/0yRIo

   * Is there any way to make parsec report “shift-reduce” conflicts?
     votes: 7, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/LQeDG

   * Haskell: how to write a monadic variadic function, with parameters
     using the monadic context
     votes: 7, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [33] http://goo.gl/ThniY

   * Haskell parMap and parallelism