Dennis Felsing | 1 Sep 09:27 2012
Picon

ANNOUNCE: ghc-vis

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the relase of ghc-vis. This package provides a
way to visualize live data structures in GHCi, similar to GHCi's :print
and vacuum-cairo. Evaluation is not forced and you can interact with the
visualized data structures. This allows seeing Haskell's lazy evaluation
and sharing in action. Hopefully it will be useful for teaching Haskell
and understanding and debugging data structures.

Currently there's a linear view and a graph view using GraphViz. If you
want to see some examples of how it looks head to

http://felsin9.de/nnis/ghc-vis/

or just give it a try like this:

$ cabal install ghc-vis
$ echo ":script $HOME/.cabal/share/ghc-vis-0.2.1/ghci" >> ~/.ghci
$ ghci
GHCi, version 7.4.2: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
λ> :vis
λ> let a = [1..3]
λ> :view a
λ> let b = cycle a
λ> :view b
λ> :view "foo" ++ "bar"
λ> :eval t1
λ> :switch

On Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ghc-vis
(Continue reading)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 1 Sep 12:52 2012
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: ghc-vis

On 1 September 2012 17:27, Dennis Felsing <dennis <at> felsin9.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the relase of ghc-vis. This package provides a
> way to visualize live data structures in GHCi, similar to GHCi's :print
> and vacuum-cairo. Evaluation is not forced and you can interact with the
> visualized data structures. This allows seeing Haskell's lazy evaluation
> and sharing in action. Hopefully it will be useful for teaching Haskell
> and understanding and debugging data structures.
>
> Currently there's a linear view and a graph view using GraphViz. If you
> want to see some examples of how it looks head to
>
> http://felsin9.de/nnis/ghc-vis/
>
> or just give it a try like this:
>
> $ cabal install ghc-vis
> $ echo ":script $HOME/.cabal/share/ghc-vis-0.2.1/ghci" >> ~/.ghci
> $ ghci
> GHCi, version 7.4.2: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> λ> :vis
> λ> let a = [1..3]