Ian Lynagh | 6 Sep 18:05 2012

ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

=============================================================
    The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 7.6.1
   =============================================================

The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.6.1.

Here are some of the highlights of the 7.6 branch since 7.4:

* Polymorphic kinds and data promotion are now fully implemented and
    supported features.

* Windows 64bit is now a supported platform.

* It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
    -fdefer-type-errors flag.

* The RTS now supports changing the number of capabilities at runtime
    with Control.Concurrent.setNumCapabilities.

Full release notes are here:

How to get it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-explanatory:

Johan Tibell | 6 Sep 18:42 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Woho! I love new GHC releases.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
> Full release notes are here:
>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.6.1/html/users_guide/release-7-6-1.html

1. There are a bunch of TODOs in the release notes. :)

2. Could you please push all the packages that were released in GHC
7.6.1 to Hackage as well?

-- Johan
Ian Lynagh | 6 Sep 21:57 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:42:53AM -0700, Johan Tibell wrote:
> 2. Could you please push all the packages that were released in GHC
> 7.6.1 to Hackage as well?

I've now uploaded those that we maintain.

Thanks
Ian
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 7 Sep 11:05 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> writes:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:42:53AM -0700, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> 2. Could you please push all the packages that were released in GHC
>> 7.6.1 to Hackage as well?
> I've now uploaded those that we maintain.

...why has bytestring-0.10.0.0 been held back? (afaics, the last couple
of versions on Hackage were uploaded by you as well)
Johan Tibell | 17 Sep 22:23 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr <at> gnu.org> wrote:
> Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> writes:
>> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:42:53AM -0700, Johan Tibell wrote:
>>> 2. Could you please push all the packages that were released in GHC
>>> 7.6.1 to Hackage as well?
>> I've now uploaded those that we maintain.
> ...why has bytestring-0.10.0.0 been held back? (afaics, the last couple
> of versions on Hackage were uploaded by you as well)

Just a reminder that we need that bytestring version on Hackage as
other compilers have no way of getting hold of it to fulfill a
depedency on bytestring >= 0.10.

-- Johan
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 7 Sep 01:00 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On 7 September 2012 02:05, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
>    =============================================================
>     The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 7.6.1
>    =============================================================
> The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.6.1.
> Here are some of the highlights of the 7.6 branch since 7.4:
>   * Polymorphic kinds and data promotion are now fully implemented and
>     supported features.
>   * Windows 64bit is now a supported platform.
>   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
>     -fdefer-type-errors flag.

Is this flag reversible in ghci, so I can :set it to check what's
going wrong with some code and then :unset it again?

>   * The RTS now supports changing the number of capabilities at runtime
>     with Control.Concurrent.setNumCapabilities.
> Full release notes are here:
>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.6.1/html/users_guide/release-7-6-1.html
> How to get it

Dennis Felsing | 7 Sep 02:26 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On 2012-09-07T09:00+1000, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> >   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
> >     -fdefer-type-errors flag.
> Is this flag reversible in ghci, so I can :set it to check what's
> going wrong with some code and then :unset it again?

As you can see on
-fdefer-type-errors is dynamic, so you can reverse it using
-fno-defer-type-errors.
Bas van Dijk | 7 Sep 11:01 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On 6 September 2012 18:05, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
> The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.6.1.

Great!

>   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
>     -fdefer-type-errors flag.

In section 7.13.1 it says:

...given the following code:

x :: Int
x = 0

y :: Char
y = x

z :: Int
z = y

evaluating x will result in a runtime type error.

Shouldn't this be:

evaluating z will result in a runtime type error.

Bas

Simon Peyton-Jones | 7 Sep 22:26 2012

RE: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Yes, it should be 'z', as you say. Paolo, could you fix this typo please?

Thanks

Simon

|  -----Original Message-----
|  From: haskell-bounces <at> haskell.org [mailto:haskell-bounces <at> haskell.org] On
|  Behalf Of Bas van Dijk
|  Sent: 07 September 2012 10:01
|  To: haskell <at> haskell.org; glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
|  Subject: Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1
|  On 6 September 2012 18:05, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
|  > The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.6.1.
|  Great!
|  >   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
|  >     -fdefer-type-errors flag.
|  In section 7.13.1 it says:
|  ...given the following code:
|  x :: Int
|  x = 0
|  y :: Char
|  y = x

Gabor Greif | 10 Sep 00:04 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

And there was this c-vs-c comment from (IIRC) axman on the #ghc IRC channel:

> class Category (c :: k -> k -> *) where
>   type Ob c :: k -> Constraint
>   id :: Ob c a => c a a
>   (.) :: (Ob c a, Ob c b, Ob c c) => c b c -> c a b -> c a c

This is pretty confusing for anybody whose brain does not yet
instantly 'autocorrect' these kinds of mistakes.

Gabor

On 9/7/12, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com> wrote:
> Yes, it should be 'z', as you say. Paolo, could you fix this typo please?
> Thanks
> Simon
> |  -----Original Message-----
> |  From: haskell-bounces <at> haskell.org [mailto:haskell-bounces <at> haskell.org]
> On

>   The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 7.6.1
>  =============================================================

GHC 7.6.1 is available now on all platforms (el5, el6, fc16, fc17) at

Chris

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Awesome,

I have been playing with GHC 7.6.0 until today and been very happy. Btw.
isn't this the version that officially includes "-fnew-codegen" / HOOPL?

Because the new codegen is optimizing the my ADPfusion library nicely.
I lost 50% speed with new features, gained 100% with new codegen,
meaning new features come for free ;-)

Viele Gruesse aus Copenhagen,
Christian

* Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> [06.09.2012 18:09]:
>    =============================================================
>     The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 7.6.1
>    =============================================================
> The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.6.1.
> Here are some of the highlights of the 7.6 branch since 7.4:
>   * Polymorphic kinds and data promotion are now fully implemented and
>     supported features.
>   * Windows 64bit is now a supported platform.
>   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
>     -fdefer-type-errors flag.

Ian Lynagh | 6 Sep 21:59 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

> Awesome,
> I have been playing with GHC 7.6.0 until today and been very happy. Btw.
> isn't this the version that officially includes "-fnew-codegen" / HOOPL?
> Because the new codegen is optimizing the my ADPfusion library nicely.
> I lost 50% speed with new features, gained 100% with new codegen,
> meaning new features come for free ;-)

I suspect that you'll find that the new codegen doesn't work 100%
perfectly in 7.6, although I don't know the details - perhaps it just
isn't as fast as it could be. It'll be the default in 7.8, though.

Thanks
Ian

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Hi Ian,

thanks for the info about 7.8. Just to be clear, the new codegen
apparently saved my runtimes for the presentation on tuesday. \My\ new
code was slower than my old code. The new code generator fixed that,
giving me equal running times with much cooler features. I currently
assume (without having checked at all) due to dead variable elimination.

So if it is getting better, I'd be really really happy.

Gruss,
Christian

* Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> [06.09.2012 22:00]:
> > Awesome,
> > I have been playing with GHC 7.6.0 until today and been very happy. Btw.
> > isn't this the version that officially includes "-fnew-codegen" / HOOPL?
> > Because the new codegen is optimizing the my ADPfusion library nicely.
> > I lost 50% speed with new features, gained 100% with new codegen,
> > meaning new features come for free ;-)
> I suspect that you'll find that the new codegen doesn't work 100%
> perfectly in 7.6, although I don't know the details - perhaps it just
> isn't as fast as it could be. It'll be the default in 7.8, though.
> Thanks

Simon Marlow | 7 Sep 09:47 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On 06/09/2012 21:10, Christian Hoener zu Siederdissen wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> thanks for the info about 7.8. Just to be clear, the new codegen
> apparently saved my runtimes for the presentation on tuesday. \My\ new
> code was slower than my old code. The new code generator fixed that,
> giving me equal running times with much cooler features. I currently
> assume (without having checked at all) due to dead variable elimination.
> So if it is getting better, I'd be really really happy.

Just to be clear - you're using -fnew-codegen, with GHC 7.6.1?

There were a handful of bugfixes to the new codegen path that didn't
make it into 7.6.1, so I wouldn't rely on it.

Simon

> Gruss,
> Christian
> * Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> [06.09.2012 22:00]:
>> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 06:32:38PM +0200, Christian Hoener zu Siederdissen wrote:
>>> Awesome,
>>>
>>> I have been playing with GHC 7.6.0 until today and been very happy. Btw.
>>> isn't this the version that officially includes "-fnew-codegen" / HOOPL?
>>>
>>> Because the new codegen is optimizing the my ADPfusion library nicely.

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Hi Simon,

Yes I am using -fnew-codegen. Using a large set of random input data
I get the expected results (comparing to both, a different version in
Haskell, and one in C).

I'll be monitoring output and will report problems.

However not relying on it, except to show that high performance is
possible. All code I am using for ``production purposes'' uses GHC 7.4
due to library dependencies.

Thanks for the note!
Christian

* Simon Marlow <marlowsd <at> gmail.com> [07.09.2012 09:47]:
> On 06/09/2012 21:10, Christian Hoener zu Siederdissen wrote:
> >Hi Ian,
> >thanks for the info about 7.8. Just to be clear, the new codegen
> >apparently saved my runtimes for the presentation on tuesday. \My\ new
> >code was slower than my old code. The new code generator fixed that,
> >giving me equal running times with much cooler features. I currently
> >assume (without having checked at all) due to dead variable elimination.
> >So if it is getting better, I'd be really really happy.
> Just to be clear - you're using -fnew-codegen, with GHC 7.6.1?
> There were a handful of bugfixes to the new codegen path that didn't

Simon Marlow | 23 Mar 11:46 2004

RE: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.2.1

> On Monday 22 March 2004 16:40, Simon Marlow wrote:
> >   - The "threaded runtime system" is included by default.  To link
> >     a program with this variant of the RTS, add the -threaded option
> >     when linking.
> After downloaded the sources i found that ./configure --help
> still lists the
> -threaded-rts option. Should i ignore this option or do i
> have to set it?
> (I'm asking because building ghc from source really takes a
> *lot* of time, so
> i'd rather know how to configure it before starting the build.)

Ignore the option - you'll get a threaded RTS by default now.  The
option is left for backwards compatibiliy (I should really note that in
./configure --help).

Simon
Simon Marlow | 17 Mar 13:23 2005

RE: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.4

On 17 March 2005 10:35, Graham Klyne wrote:
> I've just been browsing the release notes at:
>    http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.4/html/users_guide/release-6-4.html
> and I notice some broken links about the end of section 1.4.3:
> [[
> Network.URI has been completely rewritten, and now conforms to
> RFC2732.
> New module: System.Posix.Error.
> New module: System.Posix.Signals.Exts.
> ]]
> Specifically:
> http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.4/html/libraries/base/Network.URI.html
tml
.Exts.html

Oops, I thought I checked all those.  Thanks, should be fixed now.

Simon

Felipe Almeida Lessa | 6 Sep 19:33 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
>   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
>     -fdefer-type-errors flag.

I don't remember if this was part of the motivation in creating this
feature, but it has a nice use case:  asserting on a test suite that
something should *not* type check.

Felipe.
Thomas DuBuisson | 6 Sep 19:49 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Felipe Almeida Lessa
<felipe.lessa <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
>>   * It is now possible to defer type errors until runtime using the
>>     -fdefer-type-errors flag.
> I don't remember if this was part of the motivation in creating this
> feature, but it has a nice use case:  asserting on a test suite that
> something should *not* type check.

We're getting more meta than Haskell provides cleanly, but all
significant uses I can currently think of for something like that
would require universal quantification over types:

Forall types t.
  t `notElem` someTypes --> fails (tyUnification t MyType)

I'm curious what your thinking is here.

Thomas
Ozgur Akgun | 6 Sep 20:03 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

Hi,

On 6 September 2012 18:49, Thomas DuBuisson <thomas.dubuisson <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't remember if this was part of the motivation in creating this
> feature, but it has a nice use case:  asserting on a test suite that
> something should *not* type check.

We're getting more meta than Haskell provides cleanly, but all
significant uses I can currently think of for something like that
would require universal quantification over types:

One way could be:

import Control.Spoon

f = 1 + 'a'

test = assertTrue (teaspoon f == Nothing)

Ozgur Akgun
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
Glasgow-haskell-users <at> haskell.org
Felipe Almeida Lessa | 6 Sep 21:23 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Thomas DuBuisson
<thomas.dubuisson <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> We're getting more meta than Haskell provides cleanly, but all
> significant uses I can currently think of for something like that
> would require universal quantification over types:
> Forall types t.
>   t `notElem` someTypes --> fails (tyUnification t MyType)
> I'm curious what your thinking is here.

I'm developing a EDSL for SQL queries that I'll properly announce
tomorrow.  The idea I have in mind is that this code should not
typecheck:

delete $
  from $ \table ->
  set table []

You should not SET something inside a DELETE statement.  However,
currently that will typecheck---not because I don't know how to fix
it, but because the types were already messy enough and I didn't
ponder about the tradeoffs.

So I would like to put the above snippet on a test suite that says
"this should not typecheck".  It will serve both as a reminder to fix
it someday and as a regression test.  Of course, I could stick each of
these on a separate file and try to compile it, but that would be a
PITA to setup.  Is this a crazy idea? =P

Cheers, =)

Felipe.
Jens Petersen | 8 Sep 08:58 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

On 7 September 2012 01:05, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
> The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.6.1.

Thanks!  I have done a full test build for Fedora 18 Development on x86_64
which you can install from my new testing repo:

<http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/petersen/ghc/>

It seems to work fine on fedora 17 too for me.
Official Fedora builds probably won't appear in Rawhide
until a draft/testing Haskell Platform is ready, maybe next month?

(The bootstrap build used to build it, also includes 32bit and can be
downloaded from:
<http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/scratch/petersen/task_4462240>)

A bootstrap build [2] for Fedora ARM using llvm-3.1 is available and
can be downloaded from
<http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/scratch/petersen/task_1123704/>
(Note that ghc-7.4.1 at least does not build with ghc-patched llvm-3.1.)

(The Koji scratch builds should remain available for 2 weeks from building.)

>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.6.1/html/users_guide/release-7-6-1.html

It would be nice if the TODO placeholders for library version changes
could be filled in and a note added about the removal of
extensible-exceptions.

Thank you!

Jens

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=4462240
[2] http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1123704
Jens Petersen | 18 Sep 12:24 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

> Thanks!  I have done a full test build for Fedora 18 Development on x86_64
> which you can install from my new testing repo:
> <http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/petersen/ghc/>
> It seems to work fine on Fedora 17 too for me.

There is now a working cabal-install-0.15.1 build there too (patching
the source in ghc-7.6.1).

Jens
haskell mailing list
haskell <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
Jens Petersen | 30 Sep 07:33 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.1

> (Note that ghc-7.4.1 at least does not build [on ARM] with ghc-patched llvm-3.1.)

But ghc-7.4.2 does, for the record.