Andres Löh | 19 Sep 09:52 2012

Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

Dear Haskellers,

Well-Typed is partnering with Skills Matter to offer two Haskell
courses in London, targeting professional developers who want to
learn Haskell.

[If you're a Haskell expert already, but know people who might be
interested in these courses, feel free to forward this mail.]

Fast Track to Haskell
---------------------

October 8-9
http://skillsmatter.com/course/haskell/well-typed-fast-track-to-haskell/wt-4939

A two-day introduction to Haskell assuming no previous Haskell or
functional programming experience. Covers everything from Haskell
syntax over how to define Haskell functions and datatypes up to IO
and monads.

Advanced Haskell
----------------

October 11-12
http://skillsmatter.com/course/haskell/well-typed-advanced-haskell/wt-4939

A two-day course for people with basic Haskell experience who
want to take their Haskell skills to the next level. Covers
functional data structures, profiling Haskell programs,
concurrency and parallelism, programming patterns and
(Continue reading)

Claude Heiland-Allen | 19 Sep 10:14 2012
Picon

Re: [Haskell] Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

On 19/09/12 08:52, Andres Löh wrote:
> Registration for all these events is open. I hope to see many
> of you there.

Is there an informal hangout without the £225 price-tag

> Cheers,
>    Andres

Andres Löh | 19 Sep 10:20 2012

Re: [Haskell] Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

> Is there an informal hangout without the £225 price-tag

Certainly a great idea. I guess there's most likely some informal
meeting after the Haskell eXchange. Perhaps Neil Mitchell knows if
there are any concrete plans yet? He's been putting together the
program for the conference.

Cheers,
  Andres

Andres Löh, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com
Claude Heiland-Allen | 19 Sep 10:26 2012
Picon

Re: [Haskell] Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

Hi list,

Oops, I hit send too prematurely, sorry for the seeming bluntness (but
it is still a blunt message, can't apologize for that I suppose):

On 19/09/12 09:14, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> On 19/09/12 08:52, Andres Löh wrote:
>> Registration for all these events is open. I hope to see many
>> of you there.

(Referring to the October 10th event:
http://skillsmatter.com/event/haskell/haskell-exchange-2012
)

> Is there an informal hangout without the £225 price-tag
?

Perhaps a monthly informal gathering similarly (self-)organised to
Dorkbot but focussed on Haskell (and other functional languages) is what
I'm really after, but that still requires some organisation time and a
venue, neither of which necessarily come cheap :(

So, I understand the need to charge, but it seems quite a high fee to me
(especially as there don't seem to be concessions for unwaged / students
/ etc).

>> Cheers,
>> Andres

Thanks, sorry if this caused offence.
(Continue reading)

Andres Löh | 19 Sep 10:41 2012

Re: [Haskell] Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

Hi.

> Oops, I hit send too prematurely, sorry for the seeming bluntness (but it is
> still a blunt message, can't apologize for that I suppose):

No need to apologize. There's a need for informal meetings as much (or
even more) as there is for courses and conferences.

> Perhaps a monthly informal gathering similarly (self-)organised to Dorkbot
> but focussed on Haskell (and other functional languages) is what I'm really
> after, but that still requires some organisation time and a venue, neither
> of which necessarily come cheap :(

There are several informal meetings on Haskell happening throughout
the world. I'm personally not living in the London area, but I
regularly attend the Munich Haskell meeting
(http://www.haskell-munich.de/). Regarding London, I know there's the
Haskell Hoodlums meetup (http://www.meetup.com/hoodlums/), and I think
there is or was a Haskell User Group as well, but it's currently
listed as "not active" on
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/User_groups. Perhaps there's a
chance to bring it back to life?

Cheers,
  Andres

Andres Löh, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com
(Continue reading)

Claude Heiland-Allen | 24 Sep 22:11 2012
Picon

Re: [Haskell] Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

Hi Andres, list,

On 19/09/12 09:41, Andres Löh wrote:
>> Oops, I hit send too prematurely, sorry for the seeming bluntness (but it is
>> still a blunt message, can't apologize for that I suppose):
>
> No need to apologize. There's a need for informal meetings as much (or
> even more) as there is for courses and conferences.

Thank you.

> Regarding London, I know there's the
> Haskell Hoodlums meetup (http://www.meetup.com/hoodlums/)

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this one.  I have signed up.

Claude
Neil Mitchell | 25 Sep 18:02 2012
Picon

Re: [Haskell] Well-Typed and Skills Matter offer Haskell courses in London in October

Hi Claude,

I have a promo code which gives £50 off to make the Haskell Exchange
£175. HASKELLX-2012-TE1.

Note that this cost isn't profiteering - unfortunately running a
conference (just getting a venue) is expensive.

There will probably be some social aspect afterwards, I'll certainly
go to a pub if anyone wants.

I would love to see London HUG revived, I know people have tried
(including in the very recent past, a few months ago), but as yet no
one has managed to get any meetings going. Perhaps soon though.

Hoodlums is a great event, more teaching and less talk based, but very
well run and I highly recommend it!

Thanks, Neil