Daniel Santa Cruz | 20 Sep 03:36 2012
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 244

Welcome to issue 244 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of September 9 to September 15, 2012.

 Inbox

As you might have heard, GHC 7.6.1 is out for all platforms. I would
say "get it while it is still hot", but I guess I missed my opportunity
to do that last week.

Sonke Hahn wrote in to announce that on Monday "Story Episodes of
Nikki and the Robots" was was released.

Malcolm Wallace has uploaded videos from ICFP 2012, for those of us
that didn't have the opportunity to be there. Big thanks for sharing
these with the community!

 Quotes of the Week

   * copumpkin: when in doubt, blame ski

   * shachaf: You can call the greengrocer and place an order. That'll
     convert their unordered pears into ordered pears!

   * shachaf: Those who would give up essential type independence for a
     little temporary type safety deserve neither independence nor
     safety.

   * ddarius: edwardk: So your plan for Haskell adoption is to write
     Haskell in languages that aren't Haskell, say "Man, these languages
     suck, this would be super easy in Haskell", and then use the
     Haskell you started with reproducing functionality at an
     "unbelievable" rate.

   * cmccann: personally I'm just waiting for an extension that demotes
     types to the value level, so that we can finally have natural
     numbers.

 Top Reddit Stories

   * Yet another Haskell IDE in the works
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 71, Comments: 94
     On Reddit: [4] http://goo.gl/N1nfs
     Original: [5] http://goo.gl/z47p8

   * The case of the mysterious explosion in space
     Domain: serpentine.com, Score: 65, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [6] http://goo.gl/O782g
     Original: [7] http://goo.gl/eQxOc

   * Haskell vs. F# vs. Scala: A High-level Language Features and Parallelism Support Comparison
     Domain: macs.hw.ac.uk, Score: 47, Comments: 30
     On Reddit: [8] http://goo.gl/XWdPX
     Original: [9] http://goo.gl/daRy2

   * The functor design pattern
     Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 42, Comments: 45
     On Reddit: [10] http://goo.gl/FpJL4
     Original: [11] http://goo.gl/pZ4yu

   * How To Exclude Women From Your Technical Community: A Tutorial
     Domain: tim.dreamwidth.org, Score: 42, Comments: 309
     On Reddit: [12] http://goo.gl/iKN7H
     Original: [13] http://goo.gl/GKMjb

   * A simple library that allows logic programming in Haskell
     Domain: github.com, Score: 38, Comments: 10
     On Reddit: [14] http://goo.gl/J9Pbp
     Original: [15] http://goo.gl/1bRw5

   * Larry Wall: "You should probably know about it [Haskell] if only to be able to say 'is this like Haskell?', and, if so, then you know you'll have to hire some really smart people to program in it."
     Domain: youtube.com, Score: 34, Comments: 130
     On Reddit: [16] http://goo.gl/z1PTW
     Original: [17] http://goo.gl/5bCN9

   * Malcolm Wallace is broadcasting videos from ICFP
     Domain: m.youtube.com, Score: 33, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [18] http://goo.gl/O6uuy
     Original: [19] http://goo.gl/Kyg5O

   * Darcs hub alpha: a darcsden fork to “turn the dogfooding knobs up to 11”
     Domain: hub.darcs.net, Score: 30, Comments: 10
     On Reddit: [20] http://goo.gl/5D614
     Original: [21] http://goo.gl/pDHL9

   * The Architecture of the Mighttpd High-Speed Web Server
     Domain: iij.ad.jp, Score: 28, Comments: 4
     On Reddit: [22] http://goo.gl/7yRbw
     Original: [23] http://goo.gl/oCkBt

   * Tying the knot on a Rubik's cube
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 25, Comments: 7
     On Reddit: [24] http://goo.gl/0XPiY
     Original: [25] http://goo.gl/0XPiY

   * Kazu Yamamoto: Improving the performance of Warp
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 24, Comments: 1
     On Reddit: [26] http://goo.gl/yvRfR
     Original: [27] http://goo.gl/gEQlA

   * Taking advantage of "Theorems for Free"?
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 20, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [28] http://goo.gl/cqy6U
     Original: [29] http://goo.gl/cqy6U

 Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Is there a nice way to make function signatures more informative in Haskell?
     votes: 37, answers: 6
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/vOY98

   * Purely functional data structures for text editors
     votes: 26, answers: 7
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/ciJQ3

   * Lazy Pattern matching in Data.List
     votes: 15, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/T2YPC

   * Can I provide the type-checker with proofs about inductive naturals in GHC 7.6?
     votes: 14, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [33] http://goo.gl/zoMDr

   * Why does Haskell's “flip id” has this type?
     votes: 12, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [34] http://goo.gl/HWuyZ

   * How long pauses can occur in a Haskell program due to garbage collection?
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [35] http://goo.gl/Stnq7

   * Good introduction to free theorems [closed]
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [36] http://goo.gl/2OVYJ

   * Int vs Word in common use?
     votes: 10, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [37] http://goo.gl/JR9xK

   * Haskell collections with guaranteed worst-case bounds for every single operation?
     votes: 9, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [38] http://goo.gl/Oc4L9

   * Zipper data structure for graphical model editor
     votes: 8, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [39] http://goo.gl/BF865

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz