Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 26 Oct 14:58 2012
Picon

ANNOUNCE: pretty-tree

For a project I'm working on, I got sick of writing out trees by hand.
 Data.Tree has a drawTree function, but whilst it's better than
nothing, I prefer a more top-down "traditional" approach to drawing
trees.

So I wrote a package to do just that:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pretty-tree

(I didn't think to check whether diagrams had capabilities to do so
until after I finished, though in this case I prefer a textual
approach anyway.)

I'm more than happy to consider adding other forms of drawing trees
(though off-hand I can't think of any), or of course you can send me
patches since I'm taking advantage of the nice new shiny hub.darcs.net
(thanks Darcs team!).

I was going to put an example here but it only really comes out nicely
if you're using a monospaced font, so have a look at the Haddock docs
for the module once Hackage builds it (in hindsight, I should probably
have come up with better labels before releasing the package... oh
well :)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
Alfredo Di Napoli | 26 Oct 15:06 2012
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: pretty-tree

The idea is pretty good, although I suggest you make clickable the Haddock's link to modules, because I had to navigate the source in order to find some application

as well as nice tree visualizations :)

Cheers,
A.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 26 Oct 22:37 2012
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: pretty-tree

Which links _aren't_ clickable? If you mean the one to diagrams-contrib, since it isn't imported I can't link to that module directly.

One thing I just realised: compared to drawTrees, drawVerticalTree reverses the direction of sub-trees (in that it isn't just equivalent to rotating it clockwise 90 degrees); I'll rectify this when I get to my computer later.

[...]

Roman Cheplyaka | 26 Oct 23:35 2012

Re: ANNOUNCE: pretty-tree

I think Alfredo meant the link to module's haddock which had not been
generated when you sent out the announcement.

Roman

* Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com> [2012-10-27 07:37:10+1100]
> Which links _aren't_ clickable? If you mean the one to diagrams-contrib,
> since it isn't imported I can't link to that module directly.
>
> One thing I just realised: compared to drawTrees, drawVerticalTree reverses
> the direction of sub-trees (in that it isn't just equivalent to rotating it
> clockwise 90 degrees); I'll rectify this when I get to my computer later.
> On Oct 27, 2012 12:06 AM, "Alfredo Di Napoli" <alfredo.dinapoli <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The idea is pretty good, although I suggest you make clickable the
> > Haddock's link to modules, because I had to navigate the source in order to
> > find some application
> > as well as nice tree visualizations :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > A.
> >
> > On 26 October 2012 14:58, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic <at> gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> For a project I'm working on, I got sick of writing out trees by hand.
> >>  Data.Tree has a drawTree function, but whilst it's better than
> >> nothing, I prefer a more top-down "traditional" approach to drawing
> >> trees.
> >>
> >> So I wrote a package to do just that:
> >> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pretty-tree
> >>
> >> (I didn't think to check whether diagrams had capabilities to do so
> >> until after I finished, though in this case I prefer a textual
> >> approach anyway.)
> >>
> >> I'm more than happy to consider adding other forms of drawing trees
> >> (though off-hand I can't think of any), or of course you can send me
> >> patches since I'm taking advantage of the nice new shiny hub.darcs.net
> >> (thanks Darcs team!).
> >>
> >> I was going to put an example here but it only really comes out nicely
> >> if you're using a monospaced font, so have a look at the Haddock docs
> >> for the module once Hackage builds it (in hindsight, I should probably
> >> have come up with better labels before releasing the package... oh
> >> well :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> >> Ivan.Miljenovic <at> gmail.com
> >> http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Levent Erkok | 27 Oct 00:19 2012
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: pretty-tree

Iavor's pretty-show package is quite handy for these kind of tasks as well. Highly recommended: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pretty-show

Since Iavor package is not tree-centric, it'll probably not generate as nice output as you can for real tree-like-data. However, since it works on arbitrary Show instances, it's much more readily usable: It's (almost) a drop-in replacement for show. I find it to be extremely valuable in debugging tasks.

-Levent.