Daniel Santa Cruz | 8 Nov 05:02 2012
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 250

Welcome to issue 250 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of October 28 to November 3, 2012.

Quotes of the Week

   * Cale: A list is a bit like a loop which hasn't happened yet. This
     operation is similar to "how do I make the 5th iteration of my loop
     do something different from the others?"

   * broombs: Why are there multiple packages for EitherT?
     broombs: edwardk: which is the better one?
     edwardk: broombs: either

     And today, we have our first quote submited via twitter! Thank you
      <at> gersei for sending this one in. If you'd like to submit quotes via
     twitter, add <at> HWNQuotes to your tweet.

   * <at> kmett:We now generate pretty core but have ugly code.

Top Reddit Stories

   * Cartesian Closed Comic #15: Iteratees
     Domain: ro-che.info, Score: 75, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/9NpD2
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/SB7HZ

   * Are there any, or is there interest in starting, an online Haskell course like the Scala course on Coursera?
     Domain: class.coursera.org, Score: 69, Comments: 16
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/UzBdF
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/1Zzct

   * Why is this simple text processing program so much slower than in dynamic languages?
     Domain: honza.ca, Score: 65, Comments: 189
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/jW5ow
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/pPzIb

   * Fast Code Nation: The Bright Side of High-Level Languages
     Domain: bos.github.com, Score: 59, Comments: 11
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/KmBRt
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/jm9s7

   * Fay slides
     Domain: fay-lang.org, Score: 56, Comments: 42
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/0UM4T
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/h8iZE

   * Data.Records: extensible records using the latest GHC features
     Domain: github.com, Score: 55, Comments: 44
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/64wUj
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/XVdB2

   * Why Cabal Has Problems
     Domain: softwaresimply.blogspot.com, Score: 50, Comments: 41
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/ZX1Ia
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/TgnOG

   * The cabal/hackage situation, and what you can do about it
     Domain: alpmestan.com, Score: 49, Comments: 14
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/jEGIj
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/EK2DB

   * Brian O'Sullivan's favorite bug in GHC
     Domain: twitter.com, Score: 48, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/nMjeK
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/odPH4

   * Haskell for all: "Hello, core!"
     Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 45, Comments: 6
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/qXRd2
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/9cBeo

   * Michael Snoyman: Yesod, AngularJS and Fay
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 43, Comments: 26
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/8yfVd
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/0xtPP

   * Cellular automata as comonads
     Domain: blog.sigfpe.com, Score: 41, Comments: 10
     On Reddit: [23] http://goo.gl/73nr2
     Original: [24] http://goo.gl/vH4TK

   * pipes-2.5: Faster and slimmer
     Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 41, Comments: 56
     On Reddit: [25] http://goo.gl/wtUZg
     Original: [26] http://goo.gl/rKR2D

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Writing cojoin or cobind for n-dimensional grid type
     votes: 41, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/qbz7z

   * Why not be dependently typed?
     votes: 39, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/1TSVh

   * Concrete example showing that monads are not closed under composition (with proof)?
     votes: 32, answers: 4
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/sys7F

   * Monad Transformers vs Passing parameters to functions
     votes: 24, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/UpU57

   * Why is there no IO transformer in Haskell?
     votes: 16, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/04Xc7

   * Is it possible to make GHC optimize (deforest) generic functions such as catamorphisms?
     votes: 16, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/f4ZlU

   * Is it possible to use irrefutable tilde (`~`) patterns in lambda expressions?
     votes: 14, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [33] http://goo.gl/BmGY0

   * Can Scala's Cake Pattern be implemented in Haskell?
     votes: 13, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [34] http://goo.gl/QiMfg

   * Confused by the meaning of the 'Alternative' type class and its relationship to other type classes
     votes: 13, answers: 5
     Read on SO: [35] http://goo.gl/RXNuV

   * How to add fields that only cache something to ADT?
     votes: 13, answers: 0
     Read on SO: [36] http://goo.gl/FjLlX

   * Type algebra and Knuth's up arrow notation
     votes: 13, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [37] http://goo.gl/kyYIn

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz