8 Nov 05:02 2012
Haskell Weekly News: Issue 250
Daniel Santa Cruz <dstcruz <at> gmail.com>
2012-11-08 04:02:26 GMT
2012-11-08 04:02:26 GMT
Welcome to issue 250 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of October 28 to November 3, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
* Cale: A list is a bit like a loop which hasn't happened yet. This
operation is similar to "how do I make the 5th iteration of my loop
do something different from the others?"
* broombs: Why are there multiple packages for EitherT?
broombs: edwardk: which is the better one?
edwardk: broombs: either
And today, we have our first quote submited via twitter! Thank you
<at> gersei for sending this one in. If you'd like to submit quotes via
twitter, add <at> HWNQuotes to your tweet.
* <at> kmett:We now generate pretty core but have ugly code.
Top Reddit Stories
* Cartesian Closed Comic #15: Iteratees
Domain: ro-che.info, Score: 75, Comments: 2
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/9NpD2
Original:  http://goo.gl/SB7HZ
* Are there any, or is there interest in starting, an online Haskell course like the Scala course on Coursera?
Domain: class.coursera.org, Score: 69, Comments: 16
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/UzBdF
Original:  http://goo.gl/1Zzct
* Why is this simple text processing program so much slower than in dynamic languages?
Domain: honza.ca, Score: 65, Comments: 189
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/jW5ow
Original:  http://goo.gl/pPzIb
* Fast Code Nation: The Bright Side of High-Level Languages
Domain: bos.github.com, Score: 59, Comments: 11
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/KmBRt
Original:  http://goo.gl/jm9s7
* Fay slides
Domain: fay-lang.org, Score: 56, Comments: 42
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/0UM4T
Original:  http://goo.gl/h8iZE
* Data.Records: extensible records using the latest GHC features
Domain: github.com, Score: 55, Comments: 44
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/64wUj
Original:  http://goo.gl/XVdB2
* Why Cabal Has Problems
Domain: softwaresimply.blogspot.com, Score: 50, Comments: 41
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/ZX1Ia
Original:  http://goo.gl/TgnOG
* The cabal/hackage situation, and what you can do about it
Domain: alpmestan.com, Score: 49, Comments: 14
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/jEGIj
Original:  http://goo.gl/EK2DB
* Brian O'Sullivan's favorite bug in GHC
Domain: twitter.com, Score: 48, Comments: 12
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/nMjeK
Original:  http://goo.gl/odPH4
* Haskell for all: "Hello, core!"
Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 45, Comments: 6
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/qXRd2
Original:  http://goo.gl/9cBeo
* Michael Snoyman: Yesod, AngularJS and Fay
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 43, Comments: 26
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/8yfVd
Original:  http://goo.gl/0xtPP
* Cellular automata as comonads
Domain: blog.sigfpe.com, Score: 41, Comments: 10
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/73nr2
Original:  http://goo.gl/vH4TK
* pipes-2.5: Faster and slimmer
Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 41, Comments: 56
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/wtUZg
Original:  http://goo.gl/rKR2D
Top StackOverflow Questions
* Writing cojoin or cobind for n-dimensional grid type
votes: 41, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/qbz7z
* Why not be dependently typed?
votes: 39, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/1TSVh
* Concrete example showing that monads are not closed under composition (with proof)?
votes: 32, answers: 4
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/sys7F
* Monad Transformers vs Passing parameters to functions
votes: 24, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/UpU57
* Why is there no IO transformer in Haskell?
votes: 16, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/04Xc7
* Is it possible to make GHC optimize (deforest) generic functions such as catamorphisms?
votes: 16, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/f4ZlU
* Is it possible to use irrefutable tilde (`~`) patterns in lambda expressions?
votes: 14, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/BmGY0
* Can Scala's Cake Pattern be implemented in Haskell?
votes: 13, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/QiMfg
* Confused by the meaning of the 'Alternative' type class and its relationship to other type classes
votes: 13, answers: 5
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/RXNuV
* How to add fields that only cache something to ADT?
votes: 13, answers: 0
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/FjLlX
* Type algebra and Knuth's up arrow notation
votes: 13, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/kyYIn
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
_______________________________________________ Haskell mailing list Haskell <at> haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell