Ashley Yakeley | 25 Nov 13:14 2012

ANN: time-1.4.0.2

time-1.4.0.2 is now on Hackage.

1.4.0.2 fixes bugs and infelicities in the formatting and parsing in
Data.Time.Format

For formatting:

* %0Y, %_Y, %0G and %_G now pad to four characters.

* Likewise %0C, %_C, %0f and %_f pad to two characters.

For parsing:

* Runs of n whitespace characters now match n or more whitespace
characters. Formerly it matched zero or more whitespace characters.

* %Y, %G, %C and %f match one or more digits

* %0Y and %0G match exactly four digits. %0C and %0f match exactly two
digits

General:

* Now uses mkTyCon3 instead of deprecated mkTyCon (contributed by Chris
Moline)

Testing:

* Various infrastructure improvements (Chris Moline and me)

(Continue reading)

José Pedro Magalhães | 25 Nov 18:59 2012
Picon

Re: [Haskell] ANN: time-1.4.0.2

Hi Ashley,

Sorry to repeat this question, but is there any particular reason why you give handwritten
instances of Typeable, instead of deriving them?

Thanks,
Pedro

1.4.0.2 fixes bugs and infelicities in the formatting and parsing in Data.Time.Format

For formatting:

* %0Y, %_Y, %0G and %_G now pad to four characters.

* Likewise %0C, %_C, %0f and %_f pad to two characters.

For parsing:

* Runs of n whitespace characters now match n or more whitespace characters. Formerly it matched zero or more whitespace characters.

* %Y, %G, %C and %f match one or more digits

* %0Y and %0G match exactly four digits. %0C and %0f match exactly two digits

General:

* Now uses mkTyCon3 instead of deprecated mkTyCon (contributed by Chris Moline)

Testing:

* Various infrastructure improvements (Chris Moline and me)

* QuickCheck properties now tested

I tried using Cabal's "detailed" test-suite, but it doesn't play well with QuickCheck and is very slow with large numbers of small test cases. I'm now making use of the test-framework package, which does play well with QuickCheck.

-- Ashley Yakeley

Ashley Yakeley | 25 Nov 23:30 2012

Re: [Haskell] ANN: time-1.4.0.2

IIRC it's to minimise the number of necessary extensions, so that it
might be usable with a compiler that doesn't support DeriveDataTypeable.

-- Ashley

On 25/11/12 09:59, José Pedro Magalhães wrote:
> Hi Ashley,
>
> Sorry to repeat this question, but is there any particular reason why
> you give handwritten
> instances of Typeable, instead of deriving them?
>

> Thanks,
> Pedro
>
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Ashley Yakeley <ashley <at> semantic.org
> <mailto:ashley <at> semantic.org>> wrote:
>
>     time-1.4.0.2 is now on Hackage.
>
>     1.4.0.2 fixes bugs and infelicities in the formatting and parsing
>     in Data.Time.Format
>
>     For formatting:
>
>     * %0Y, %_Y, %0G and %_G now pad to four characters.
>
>     * Likewise %0C, %_C, %0f and %_f pad to two characters.
>
>     For parsing:
>
>     * Runs of n whitespace characters now match n or more whitespace
>     characters. Formerly it matched zero or more whitespace characters.
>
>     * %Y, %G, %C and %f match one or more digits
>
>     * %0Y and %0G match exactly four digits. %0C and %0f match exactly
>     two digits
>
>     General:
>
>     * Now uses mkTyCon3 instead of deprecated mkTyCon (contributed by
>     Chris Moline)
>
>     Testing:
>
>     * Various infrastructure improvements (Chris Moline and me)
>
>     * QuickCheck properties now tested
>
>     I tried using Cabal's "detailed" test-suite, but it doesn't play
>     well with QuickCheck and is very slow with large numbers of small
>     test cases. I'm now making use of the test-framework package,
>     which does play well with QuickCheck.
>
>     -- Ashley Yakeley

José Pedro Magalhães | 26 Nov 13:25 2012
Picon

Re: [Haskell] ANN: time-1.4.0.2

Could CPP be used instead so that if it's GHC it just derives Typeable? Something similar seems to already be done for Data...

I'm asking because with the upcoming changes to Typeable these manual instances will become problematic, and time is required to build GHC.

Thanks,
Pedro