Chris Forno | 8 Jan 00:50 2013

Haskell and Pandoc "Let's Code"-Style Video

I've just uploaded a video walking through
some of the source code for Pandoc. I plan to
create more videos like it (on Pandoc and other
open source/free software projects), and I'd
appreciate your feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=FEFETKhhq8w&feature=youtube_gdata_play
er

I think Haskell is particularly well-suited for this
type of study:

- The code tends to be concise, and parts can
usually be analyzed in isolation thanks to
explicit state.
- Even after 10 years of exposure to Haskell I
feel like I still have much to learn about
idiomatic style from the writings of others.
- I've run across the same misconceptions
about Haskell in the professional world (and
had some myself in the beginning), and would
like more people to see what Haskell really is
like outside of papers and blog posts.

Please let me know if there are other projects
you'd like to see me cover. Thanks.
Bob Ippolito | 8 Jan 23:33 2013

Re: Haskell and Pandoc "Let's Code"-Style Video

As a Haskell novice I really appreciate the effort to put this together and look forward to seeing more of them. The video is high production quality and the pacing was fast enough that I didn't get too bored, even though I already had a pretty good understanding of the Haskell that was covered.

It might be worth saying in the metadata somewhere (title, description, whatever) that a lot of what is actually covered here is how Pandoc uses Parsec. I think that this content of this video would be helpful to anyone just starting out with Parsec, but they would probably only find it by accident as-is.

What I got most out of the video was just watching someone else's workflow. I think it would be helpful to some if you had some supplementary links in the description of the video that could help someone reproduce it locally. For example:

- In the video it's not stated that "cabal install pandoc" (or equivalent) had already happened, and that this step is totally independent of the git clone.
- A link to hasktags and perhaps even a link to documentation about Emacs TAGS might be helpful. I don't think this is a feature that all Emacs users are proficient with.
- Having a PS1 prompt that contained the exit code from the last command was really clever, I hadn't seen that before. I'm sure some people would be interested in what the bashrc for that prompt looks like.

-bob

[...]

Brandon Allbery | 8 Jan 23:52 2013
Picon

Re: Haskell and Pandoc "Let's Code"-Style Video