José Pedro Magalhães | 18 Jan 00:07 2013
Picon

Chordify, a new web startup using Haskell

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce Chordify [1], an online music player that extracts chords from musical sources like Soundcloud, Youtube or your own files, and shows you which chord to play when. Here's an example song: http://chordify.net/chords/passenger-let-her-go-official-video-passengermusic

The aim of Chordify is to make state-of-the-art music technology accessible to a broader audience. Behind the scenes, Chordify uses the HarmTrace Haskell package to compute chords from audio. I've been working on this project with a couple of colleagues for a while now, and recently we have made the website public, free to use for everyone.

We do not use Haskell for any of the frontend/user interface, but the backend is entirely written in Haskell (and it uses pretty advanced features, such as GADTs and type families [3]). We're particularly interested in user feedback at this stage, so if you're interested in music and could use an automatic chord transcription service, please try Chordify!

Cheers,
Pedro

[1] http://chordify.net/
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HarmTrace
[3] José Pedro Magalhães and W. Bas de Haas. Functional Modelling of Musical Harmony: an Experience Report. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP'11), pp. 156–162, ACM, 2011. http://dreixel.net/research/pdf/fmmh.pdf

C K Kashyap | 18 Jan 04:10 2013
Picon

Re: Chordify, a new web startup using Haskell

Very cool :)
Not sure if the places it showed E flat - was it really E flat minor?

What next - index all the songs using their "chordification" and then search them using a "hum" as input :)

Regards,
Kashyap

[...]

Alp Mestanogullari | 18 Jan 08:34 2013
Picon

Re: Chordify, a new web startup using Haskell

That's awesome, works like a charm on the samples I've tried it on! Cheers to the Chordify team, I will use it and give any useful feedback if I have any.

[...]

Alp Mestanogullari
Alfredo Di Napoli | 18 Jan 09:06 2013
Picon

Re: Chordify, a new web startup using Haskell

Congratulations!

Keep up the good work, especially in using Haskell at a commercial level :)

Bye!
Alfredo

[...]

Thiago Negri | 18 Jan 09:39 2013
Picon

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Chordify, a new web startup using Haskell

Is it possible to play the generated chords as a melody by itself, without the original music over it?

[...]

Rustom Mody | 18 Jan 13:37 2013