Daniel Santa Cruz | 24 Jan 04:49 2013
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 255

Welcome to issue 255 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
weeks of January 06 to 19, 201.

Quotes of the Week

   * ky3: Indexed monads are just categories in the category of
     endofunctors, what's the problem?

   * tac: I guess I'm just living in a fantasy world where the docs tell
     you how to use such a basic API :P

   * shachaf: 3.0 is an edwardk phase, not just a version number. It's
     like Picasso's Blue Period.

   * cmccann: Clearly the reason why edwardk uses Haskell now is because
     every C++ compiler has a restraining order against him.

   * shachaf: I'm not sure what your question is, but maybe lens is the
     answer.

   * cmccann: * cmccann has concluded that lenses are just a category
     whose objects are english prepositions and whose morphisms are all
     unsafeCoerce

   * shachaf: Some people, when asking about a problem in #haskell, get
     a link to okmij.org. Now they have two problems.

   * quicksilver: It returns undefined for convenience. I'm not really
     sure it's that convenient, but that's why.

   * edwardk: cmccann: let me get this straight you are saying that
     someone [mm_freak] who by their very nick admits to being a freak
     did something freakish?

Top Reddit Stories

   * LiquidHaskell: Refinement Types in Haskell via SMT
     Domain: goto.ucsd.edu, Score: 71, Comments: 22
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/PE2nf
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/P3Gm9

   * Hakyll 4.0 released
     Domain: jaspervdj.be, Score: 59, Comments: 19
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/IQAXq
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/AbLnM

   * When Haskell is faster than C
     Domain: paulspontifications.blogspot.co.uk, Score: 52, Comments: 23
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/3rj8J
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/N2cbA

   * I'm teaching an introductory 12-week class on Haskell.
     Join in for a journey!
     Domain: reddit.com, Score: 45, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/TsnQ5
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/EMMVR

   * Subtractable values are torsors
     Domain: ro-che.info, Score: 42, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/4IcMp
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/6YJrY

   * Chordify: extract chord sequences from MP3's using HarmTrace
     Domain: chordify.net, Score: 42, Comments: 8
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/8J7rA
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/ySfR5

   * Getting Started with Haskell
     Domain: bob.ippoli.to, Score: 41, Comments: 8
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/4Evnb
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/nzg9o

   * Using AngularJS with Haskell Snap
     Domain: nurpax.github.com, Score: 40, Comments: 19
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/SH8e1
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/0lSyN

   * Down with kinds: adding dependent heterogeneous equality to to FC
     Domain: cis.upenn.edu, Score: 38, Comments: 14
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/iEvyI
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/cH0Eo

   * Fixing GADTs : Generic recursion schemes for GADTs using fixed
     points of higher-order functors
     Domain: timphilipwilliams.com, Score: 38, Comments: 25
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/dEMq9
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/vnjhp

   * What's the importance of Category Theory in Haskell? Is it worth
     really studying?
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 37, Comments: 60
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/T430r
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/T430r

   * Parsing Markdown with Parsec: How Pandoc does it
     Domain: youtube.com, Score: 35, Comments: 13
     On Reddit: [23] http://goo.gl/TN9TJ
     Original: [24] http://goo.gl/zpX7f

   * Clckwrks, from the creator of Happstack, is developing into a clean
     alternative to Wordpress
     Domain: clckwrks.com, Score: 34, Comments: 7
     On Reddit: [25] http://goo.gl/L9WXx
     Original: [26] http://goo.gl/FZRpU

   * pipes-safe-1.0 - Resource management and exception handling for pipes
     Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 32, Comments: 27
     On Reddit: [27] http://goo.gl/HeLWz
     Original: [28] http://goo.gl/1hTFc

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * values, types, kinds,… as an infinite sequence?
     votes: 36, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/lyyYc

   * Why is this a useful warning in Haskell when pattern matching?
     “Defined but not used”
     votes: 17, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/iQLFq

   * Why are getArgs and getProgName IO actions?
     votes: 16, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/5ZPYO

   * Can GADTs be used to prove type inequalities in GHC? [duplicate]
     votes: 14, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/fDdha

   * Applying Denotational Semantics to design of Programs [migrated]
     votes: 14, answers: 0
     Read on SO: [33] http://goo.gl/KLOCX

   * Examples where compiler-optimized functional code performs better
     than imperative code
     votes: 14, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [34] http://goo.gl/Fzqdx

   * Why is there only one non-strict function from Int to Int?
     votes: 12, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [35] http://goo.gl/KXcAy

   * Dependency injection in Haskell: solving the task idiomatically
     votes: 12, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [36] http://goo.gl/xTcYc

   * What does a Haskell comment starting with `{- |` generally mean?
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [37] http://goo.gl/zNikw

   * Is operational really isomorphic to a free monad?
     votes: 10, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [38] http://goo.gl/AJlgH

Until next time,
[39]+Daniel Santa Cruz