Daniel Santa Cruz | 7 Feb 02:30 2013
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 257

Welcome to issue 257 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of January 27 to February 02, 2013.

Quotes of the Week

   * shachaf: Everyone forgets about Agda Lovelace, the first
     constructivist.

   * applicative: I have my new ghc and am reinstalling my feeble world

   * wuttf: My world is starting to feel like isToyLanguage x = x /=
     Haskell

   * PenguinOfDoom: Being enlightened gentlemen, we split all
     programming languages into two groups, sucks and doesn't-suck and
     put all of them into the first group.

   * Taneb: lens has got to be the only library with more contributors
     than people who know how it works

   * shachaf: I like to put all my application's modules under GHC.*
     That's because I use the GHC API, and I want them not to conflict.

Top Reddit Stories

   * The FP Complete School of Haskell goes beta
     Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 84, Comments: 45
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/dEEyU
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/0eKLt

   * My reaction to: How To Exclude Women From Your Technical Community: A Tutorial
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 75, Comments: 145
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/dVnVv
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/dVnVv

   * Edward Yang: The GHC scheduler
     Domain: blog.ezyang.com, Score: 72, Comments: 1
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/pkCmD
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/SP1s3

   * GHC HEAD now has support for named holes; an extension of -XTypeHoles. Feedback welcome!
     Domain: github.com, Score: 44, Comments: 32
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/87Pbw
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/cqX9N

   * LiquidHaskell - Safely Catching A List By Its Tail
     Domain: goto.ucsd.edu, Score: 44, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/uxU64
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/9aS35

   * ProseDoc: A literate programming tool for Haskell inspired by docco
     Domain: shangaslammi.github.com, Score: 43, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/x4YGE
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/sM4bN

   * ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.6.2
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 39, Comments: 16
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/BS6Sm
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/RPF00

   * What you consider "advanced" Haskell topics?
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 34, Comments: 45
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/JRgzG
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/JRgzG

   * How to write unmaintainable Haskell code
     Domain: github.com, Score: 34, Comments: 49
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/V0nxC
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/G8wNv

   * Introduction to Haskell, Lecture 3 is Live (Types and Typeclasses)
     Domain: shuklan.com, Score: 32, Comments: 5
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/JyH81
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/bve7N

   * Proposal: A trivial Cabal package signing utility for use with Hackage
     Domain: github.com, Score: 32, Comments: 61
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/R2l9g
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/IpYSo

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Haskell/GHC UndecidableInstances - example for non-terminating type check?
     votes: 19, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [23] http://goo.gl/KX8oj

   * Efficient parallel strategies
     votes: 15, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [24] http://goo.gl/aDnW2

   * Is it possible to implement MonadFix for `Free`?
     votes: 15, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [25] http://goo.gl/uKOrO

   * Do Haskell imports have side effects?
     votes: 15, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [26] http://goo.gl/sjltX

   * What monads can be expressed as Free over some functor?
     votes: 10, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/Q8MF9

   * What is the point of having a lazy/strict version of Writer?
     votes: 10, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/InUsm

   * Why can applicative functors have side effects, but functors can't?
     votes: 9, answers: 4
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/LxUi5

   * How to write fixed point build rules in Shake, e.g. Latex
     votes: 9, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/Ef82G

   * Event handling in Netwire compared to conventional FRP frameworks
     votes: 9, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/mA4Kc

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz