Grov, Gudmund | 17 Apr 12:53 2013

AI4FM 2013: Final Call for Short Contributions - 1 week to go

  AI4FM 2013 - the 4th International Workshop on
    the use of AI in Formal Methods

       http://www.ai4fm.org/ai4fm-2013/

    Rennes, France, 22nd July, 2013
     In association with ITP 2013
          --- Final Call for Short Contributions ---
               *** PhD funding available ***
               ***     New deadline      ***
General
-------
This workshop will bring together researchers from formal methods and AI; it will address the
issue of how AI can be used to support the formal software development process, including modelling
and proof. Previous AI4FM workshops have included a mix of industrial and academic participants
and we anticipate attracting a similarly diverse audience.

Industrial use of formal methods is certainly increasing but, in order to make it more mainstream,
the cost of applying formal methods, in terms of mathematical skill level and development time,
must be reduced — we believe that AI can help with these issues.

Rigorous software development using formal methods allows the construction of an accurate
characterisation
of a problem domain that is firmly based on mathematics; by applying standard mathematical analyses,
these
methods can be used to prove that systems satisfy formal specifications. A recent ACM computing survey
paper
describes over sixty industrial projects and discusses the effect formal methods have on time, cost and