16 May 02:04 2013
Haskell Weekly News: Issue 267
Daniel Santa Cruz <dstcruz <at> gmail.com>
2013-05-16 00:04:07 GMT
2013-05-16 00:04:07 GMT
Welcome to issue 267 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of April 28 to May 11, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
* ciaranm: a category is just a category in the category of
* cmccann: the Either monad is like the Maybe monad, except with
something instead of Nothing.
* sclv: Q: Why are the adjunctions of Galois connections backwards?
A: He never got the hang of duals.
* acowley: blackdog's experience with IDEs is apparently both more
sensual and more culinary than mine
* cmccann: shachaf jokes are what the quotes section of HWN is for.
cmccann: though lately there have been not as many :[
shachaf: cmccann: Hey, there wasn't a single shachaf quote in the
shachaf: Leave me alone.
shachaf: There were two cmccann quotes.
* edwardk: cmccann: i'm NDA'd out of that space for a while ;)
elliott: edwardk just collects NDAs so that he can focus.
* trapdInIO: in java everything happens elsewhere
* edwardk: i never bothered to release the c preprocessor because it
was entangled with an old compiler of mind
* acowley: I get nervous when I haven't triggered the impossible for
more than a month or so :/
* hpc: be careful, excessive consumption of lenses will go straight
to your type signature
* acowley: The longer I leave this function named "jumanji" the less
I want to find a better name
* ion: The next step is unsafeCoerce. At that point youâre halfway
into implementing lens.
* bos: i'm not sure edwardk is a good model to follow. (a) because
you won't be able to, and (b) because you won't be able to.
Top Reddit Stories
* John Carmack interested in doing a moderate-sized project in Haskell
Domain: twitter.com, Score: 136, Comments: 30
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/7rJpH
Original:  http://goo.gl/yL9kV
* John Carmack starting port of Wolf 3D in Haskell
Domain: twitter.com, Score: 108, Comments: 19
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/MKkiI
Original:  http://goo.gl/SN7Mp
* Haskell for all: Program imperatively using Haskell lenses
Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 103, Comments: 80
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/FIfUd
Original:  http://goo.gl/zkEHI
* unm-hip a Haskell Image Processing Library
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 71, Comments: 18
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/erMhx
Original:  http://goo.gl/erMhx
* Crit-bit trees in Haskell: fast, and open to contributors!
Domain: github.com, Score: 56, Comments: 16
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/1vQMS
Original:  http://goo.gl/08byj
* Tutorial on HLearn's Markov networks, monoids, and "type level lenses" explained with Futurama
Domain: izbicki.me, Score: 53, Comments: 10
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/3mYuD
Original:  http://goo.gl/4WjnU
* Cool mailing list archive I stumbled on: Haskell controlling garbage trucks
Domain: haskell.org, Score: 49, Comments: 2
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/h8p4y
Original:  http://goo.gl/kSGkx
* Haskell intuition
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 49, Comments: 23
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/F04IM
Original:  http://goo.gl/F04IM
* The Difference between Recursion & Induction
Domain: blog.ezyang.com, Score: 47, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/mZN3T
Original:  http://goo.gl/z2jZx
* Yesod 1.2 released
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 45, Comments: 8
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/el7dt
Original:  http://goo.gl/lqBM9
* Haskell 2014 committee has now been formed
Domain: thread.gmane.org, Score: 42, Comments: 27
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/okojc
Original:  http://goo.gl/1g6FG
* Web Frameworks Benchmark 4 (includes WAI)
Domain: techempower.com, Score: 41, Comments: 60
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/FLGJu
Original:  http://goo.gl/AJbhV
* Haskell for all: pipes-3.3.0: Folds and uniting ListT with Proxy
Domain: haskellforall.com, Score: 41, Comments: 14
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/sO1EK
Original:  http://goo.gl/5rZ0u
* First working program using the Repa plugin
Domain: disciple-devel.blogspot.com, Score: 39, Comments: 5
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/bQgfV
Original:  http://goo.gl/9K5Qk
* How to use Hoogle from GHCi
Domain: youtube.com, Score: 36, Comments: 2
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/9V9o7
Original:  http://goo.gl/LU7Zk
* 4th Episode of "The Pragmatic Haskeller": HTTP and more
Domain: cakesolutions.net, Score: 35, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/rMLyC
Original:  http://goo.gl/npjKm
* A monadic joke
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 34, Comments: 28
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/OmwSp
Original:  http://goo.gl/OmwSp
* A "Natural" Theorem Prover in Haskell — By Tim Gowers!
Domain: gowers.wordpress.com, Score: 34, Comments: 5
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/OomyR
Original:  http://goo.gl/LWNHW
* Towards a Haskell Logic Library
Domain: spin.atomicobject.com, Score: 30, Comments: 1
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/puVS7
Original:  http://goo.gl/7dXA0
* Barabra Liskov - Keynote: The Power of Abstraction
Domain: infoq.com, Score: 29, Comments: 25
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/B7AZJ
Original:  http://goo.gl/SSYSm
Top StackOverflow Questions
* What constitutes a fold for types other than list?
votes: 34, answers: 4
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/AkbgP
* Lazy vs Strict implementations of data structures
votes: 19, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/De1VO
* Compiling very large constants with GHC
votes: 17, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/mWOMz
* Haskell Tree splitting: Can someone please explain this line?
votes: 16, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/ZVaQE
* Could cabal notice about unused package in dependencies?
votes: 15, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/IUOx2
* How can eta-reduction of a well typed function result in a type error?
votes: 14, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/3A4hu
* What is so special about Monads?
votes: 14, answers: 4
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/CF7BC
* Why does ghci desugar type lists and type families? Can this be selectively disabled?
votes: 13, answers: 0
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/QBmM7
* How are functors in Haskell and OCaml similar?
votes: 13, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/rIYKy
* Monitoring GHC activity
votes: 10, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/q7WuU
* Why isn't the Prelude's words function written more simply?
votes: 10, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/W1TqA
* How to design a monadic stack?
votes: 10, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/LAeJI
* How to generate arbitrary instances of a simple type for quickcheck
votes: 9, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/oCesk
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz
_______________________________________________ Haskell mailing list Haskell <at> haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell