Daniel Santa Cruz | 27 Jun 03:34 2013
Picon

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 271

Welcome to issue 271 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of June 9 to 11, 2013.

Quotes of the Week

   * cmccann: also please note that "malign" remains one of my best
     function names ever

   * dolio: Peak file descriptors is a myth.

   * mami: i think my brain rewired for higher typesystem compatibility
     in my sleep

   * elliott: it's impure but only depending on the environment! which
     is to say it is impure.

   * johnw: lens makes one into a mutating ninja

   * applicativ: een my language we say Z for one

   * DavidJacobs: Code is like poetry; most of it shouldn't have been
     written.

   * merijn: If I could program with arbitrary real world side effects
     I'd use "unsafeStabComputerUser" if someone attempted that

   * shachaf: Hackage going down regularly is part of the rustic charm
     of Haskell!

   * shachaf: JavaScript is the best example of a domain-specific
     language. Because of the same-origin policy.

   * chrisdone: [on being invited to help with idris development] dude
     i've already got 20 yaks lined up waiting to be shaved, don't send
     me a whole truck full

   * shachaf: edwardk isn't benevolent or malevolent. edwardk is more of
     a simple mechanical process tending toward maximal complexity.

   * AndrejBauer: When have you ever heard a category theorist say: I
     want to prove this diagram commutesâLet's suppose it doesn't.

Top Reddit Stories

   * Applicative => Monad is coming.
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 122, Comments: 62
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/JCvQ4
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/fJxeX

   * The Homotopy Type Theory Book is now available for free online and in print at Lulu.com
     Domain: homotopytypetheory.org, Score: 86, Comments: 16
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/x8nLW
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/DR9gf

   * Three useful monads
     Domain: adit.io, Score: 71, Comments: 25
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/WHqPr
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/1r8nC

   * Beta sign up for FP Complete new IDE
     Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 63, Comments: 11
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/RPV0P
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/c03Od

   * HLearn implements more with 6 trivial lines of Haskell than Weka implements with over 100 complex lines of Java
     Domain: izbicki.me, Score: 47, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/EEqwS
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/Ukk4E

   * Top secret School of Haskell articles leaked
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 47, Comments: 17
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/zhhYm
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/zhhYm

   * F-algebra tutorial
     Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 41, Comments: 35
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/Ybmbs
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/szfGk

   * John Carmack on haskell today.
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 40, Comments: 79
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/8qHkt
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/8qHkt

   * Data Flow Fusion with Series Expressions in Haskell
     Domain: justtesting.org, Score: 40, Comments: 19
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/ZNeIP
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/JAjjy

   * So you still don't understand Hindley-Milner? Part 1
     Domain: akgupta.ca, Score: 38, Comments: 0
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/OOk43
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/SZ1Gb

   * Ask HN: Any downsides of programming in Haskell?
     Domain: news.ycombinator.com, Score: 36, Comments: 104
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/vRuHW
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/fcleS

   * FP Complete - Haskell Introduction
     Domain: youtube.com, Score: 36, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [23] http://goo.gl/GqgC5
     Original: [24] http://goo.gl/KoVYs

   * Fix your posture with haskell
     Domain: github.com, Score: 35, Comments: 2
     On Reddit: [25] http://goo.gl/lznTr
     Original: [26] http://goo.gl/x21Ax

   * preprint list for ICFP'13 papers (additional links welcome)
     Domain: github.com, Score: 34, Comments: 9
     On Reddit: [27] http://goo.gl/mZsTn
     Original: [28] http://goo.gl/bhbC9

   * GHC: now with closed type families
     Domain: github.com, Score: 34, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: [29] http://goo.gl/JJSSv
     Original: [30] http://goo.gl/QlV4s

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * How to compare two functions for equivalence, as in (λx.2*x) == (λx.x+x)?
     votes: 15, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/A6YDd

   * Should I use typeclasses or not?
     votes: 15, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/EOV1M

   * Is there something like `map2 :: (i -> a) -> (i -> b) -> [i] -> [(a,b)]`?
     votes: 11, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [33] http://goo.gl/WZyEy

   * Why isn't GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving a Safe Haskell?
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [34] http://goo.gl/on6Fc

   * It's not a monad, but what is it?
     votes: 10, answers: 0
     Read on SO: [35] http://goo.gl/sm9gR

   * Writing efficient iterative loop for ST monad
     votes: 10, answers: 0
     Read on SO: [36] http://goo.gl/WAAwA

   * Getting multiple results from map with “lens”
     votes: 10, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [37] http://goo.gl/zqX8E

   * How to run Frege programs on Android?
     votes: 10, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [38] http://goo.gl/XlSCN

   * Are there problems that can't be solved efficiently without arrays? [duplicate]
     votes: 9, answers: 0
     Read on SO: [39] http://goo.gl/Z5j9a

   * Haskell: How to organize a group of functions that all take the same arguments
     votes: 9, answers: 4
     Read on SO: [40] http://goo.gl/z64H7

Until next time,
[41]+Daniel Santa Cruz