Duncan Coutts | 9 Sep 20:23 2013

Hackage 2 now available for beta testing

Well-Typed and the Industrial Haskell Group (IHG) are very pleased to
announce that Hackage 2 is now available for public beta testing. The
plan is to do the final switchover in late September, to coincide
with ICFP.

http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/

Read on for details of how to help with the public beta, an overview
of the new features and what the IHG has been doing to help.

Support from the Industrial Haskell Group

The IHG is a consortium of companies that rely on Haskell. The IHG
members have funded the effort to get Hackage 2 up to feature parity
and get it ready for the switchover. The IHG funded this effort because
while the volunteer effort got us the "first 90%" of the way there
(including adding a number of new features) there was still the "last
90%" to do to get it production ready.

The IHG members decided to fund Hackage 2 not just because they are
good citizens, but out of enlightened self-interest. Hackage has over
5000 packages written by over 1000 people -- including the world's best
Haskell developers. This is a massive resource. The IHG members
recognise that improvements to the tools and infrastructure that the
community uses helps the community to produce more and better code.
This is a benefit to everyone in the community -- including the
commercial users.

The IHG is keen to increase its membership so that more resources can
(Continue reading)

Ross Paterson | 10 Sep 13:10 2013
Picon

Re: [Haskell] Hackage 2 now available for beta testing

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 07:23:59PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Well-Typed and the Industrial Haskell Group (IHG) are very pleased to
> announce that Hackage 2 is now available for public beta testing. The
> plan is to do the final switchover in late September, to coincide
> with ICFP.
>
> http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/

What's the story with haddock documentation?  I see that some packages
have docs imported from the old server, some have newly generated docs,
and some have none, but no indication whether a bot has tried to build
it or not.  There's mention of maintainer uploads of docs as a fallback,
but I couldn't find where one would do that.  (It would also need to
document the flags needed to get the links right.)
Duncan Coutts | 10 Sep 15:33 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 12:10 +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 07:23:59PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Well-Typed and the Industrial Haskell Group (IHG) are very pleased to
> > announce that Hackage 2 is now available for public beta testing. The
> > plan is to do the final switchover in late September, to coincide
> > with ICFP.
> >
> > http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/
>
> What's the story with haddock documentation?  I see that some packages
> have docs imported from the old server, some have newly generated docs,
> and some have none, but no indication whether a bot has tried to build
> it or not.

Right, for old docs we imported it (building the really old packages is
rather tricky). The doc builder (hackage-build) is a client included in
the hackage-server package.

The doc builder does keep track of which packages it cannot build. That
information is reported via the build report mechanism, so we can
actually end up with many reports (from different clients) that a
package failed to build. Currently we do not present any of the build
report info on the site. While we can link to the raw build results,
what we really need is a way to digest the build reports and turn it
into useful info.