Mateusz Kowalczyk | 31 Aug 15:50 2014
Picon

[ANN] haddock-2.15-0, haddock-api-2.15-0, haddock-library-1.1.1

Hello,

I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0. Before we dive in,
I'd like to announce that Haddock development has moved out of the GHC
tree and is now done against the latest compiler release. If in the past
you wanted to contribute but were intimidated by having to make sure it
works against GHC HEAD then here's your chance. Additionally, it now
should also work with GHC 7.8.2 so if for whatever reason you're forced
to use that, you can now get the latest Haddock features.

If you want to contribute then please let us know, we're understaffed!
Come chat at #haddock or send us an e-mail.

If you have been using 2.14.x, you should be good to simply ‘cabal
install haddock’.

Now the changes:

This is an API-breaking bugfix release so any tickets originally
scheduled for 2.15.0 were pushed towards 2.16. Perhaps the biggest
change is that ‘cabal install haddock’ will now only give you the
Haddock binary. To use Haddock API, please depend on ‘haddock-api’ from
now on. I have sent out an e-mail about this couple of weeks in advance
to any reverse dependencies of ‘haddock’. This is to workaround cabal's
inability to pass flags to dependencies from the cabal file.

‘haddock-library’ only got a minor bump, 1.1.0 → 1.1.1 improving its
output. The Monoid instance for DocH is gone however as it was
ill-formed to begin with.

(Continue reading)

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 2 Sep 23:16 2014
Picon

Re: [ANN] haddock-2.15-0, haddock-api-2.15-0, haddock-library-1.1.1

On 08/31/2014 02:50 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0.
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]: https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues

Oops, something I forgot to mention:

1. {-# OPTIONS_HADDOCK show-extensions #-} will probably become the
default from next release. Of course you'll be able to switch it off if
you don't like it but you'll have to do so explicitly.

2. We will remove ‘frames’ unless someone want to step up and fix the
two issues related to them: #114 and #274. Hackage strips the link out
from the JavaScript we ship so barely anyone knows or uses them but if
you uploaded your own docs then you'll have them. If you like them then
please step up to fix them or they will have to go.

Thanks!

Mateusz K.

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic | 3 Sep 02:00 2014

On 3 September 2014 07:16, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu <at> fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/31/2014 02:50 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues
>>

> Oops, something I forgot to mention:
>
> 1. {-# OPTIONS_HADDOCK show-extensions #-} will probably become the
> default from next release. Of course you'll be able to switch it off if
> you don't like it but you'll have to do so explicitly.

If this is the case, will there be any way of documenting why a
potentially "scary" extension (e.g. UndecidableInstances) is being
used?

> 2. We will remove ‘frames’ unless someone want to step up and fix the
> two issues related to them: #114 and #274. Hackage strips the link out
> from the JavaScript we ship so barely anyone knows or uses them but if
> you uploaded your own docs then you'll have them. If you like them then
> please step up to fix them or they will have to go.

(Continue reading)

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 3 Sep 05:45 2014

On 09/03/2014 01:00 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 3 September 2014 07:16, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu <at> fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/31/2014 02:50 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> [1]: https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues
>>>

>> Oops, something I forgot to mention:
>>
>> 1. {-# OPTIONS_HADDOCK show-extensions #-} will probably become the
>> default from next release. Of course you'll be able to switch it off if
>> you don't like it but you'll have to do so explicitly.
>
> If this is the case, will there be any way of documenting why a
> potentially "scary" extension (e.g. UndecidableInstances) is being
> used?

No official way and no plan to ever support documenting extensions:
adding the code to the GHC lexer and extracting it back out of the API
is a lot of work. Trying to decide how the show it in the documentation
is probably equally as hard. If someone *really* thinks they need this,
I'll be happy to review their patch for the whole thing ;). I don't
actually know of anyone ever asking for such a thing (yet!).
(Continue reading)

Joachim Breitner | 7 Sep 10:10 2014
Picon

Re: [ANN] haddock-2.15-0, haddock-api-2.15-0, haddock-library-1.1.1

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 31.08.2014, 14:50 +0100 schrieb Mateusz Kowalczyk:
> I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0.

Cool.

How compatible are the .haddock files?

In particular, and not only related to this upgrade: Under what
condition can Debian upgrade haddock (resp. haddock-api resp.
haddock-library) so that the .haddock files generated by the compiler
build, using the haddock version that was shipped with GHC, can still be
used?

Greetings,
Joacihm

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata <at> debian.org | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: F0FBF51F
  JID: nomeata <at> joachim-breitner.de | http://people.debian.org/~nomeata

Mateusz Kowalczyk | 7 Sep 13:31 2014

On 09/07/2014 09:10 AM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am Sonntag, den 31.08.2014, 14:50 +0100 schrieb Mateusz Kowalczyk:
>> I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0.
>
> Cool.
>
> How compatible are the .haddock files?

If you're coming from 2.14.3 then there is no problem. I think the last
change was at 2.14.0 so if you're on then you should be good to update.
If you're on 2.13.x or earlier then you'll have to regenerate all the
docs but IIRC the GHC versions that 2.13 and 2.14/15 are compatible with
are different anyway so you can't have both co-existing.

You can check what your current cversion is at through

haddock --compatible-interface-versions

although that flag has been a fairly recent addition (2.14.0). For
2.14.0-2.15.0 it is version ‘25’.