Hal Daume III | 3 Nov 20:30 2002
Picon

getting the right types

Hi all,

I have a function which essentially looks like this:

  f my_data = do
    a1 <- newArray ...
    a2 <- newArray ...
    g my_data a1 a2

where f is a monadic operation essentially of type 'a -> m a'.  The
problem is that when this function isn't given a type signature, you get
something like:

  f :: (MArray a1 p e, MArray a2 p e) => t

where a1 and a2 aren't bound in t.  Now, I could provide a type signature
on the array expressions, something like:

    ... (a1 :: IOArray Int Int) <- newArray ...

but i would like to be able to use unboxed arrays when possible, and i
don't want to bind the funtion to be in IO.  My current solution is to
define:

  data ArrayType arr prob = forall ix . ArrayType (arr ix prob)
  asArray :: arr ix prob -> ArrayType arr prob -> arr ix prob
  a `asArray` _ = a

Sort of like asTypeOf.  Then, I change f to:
(Continue reading)

Simon Peyton-Jones | 5 Nov 12:04 2002
Picon

RE: getting the right types

Interesting.  You want to control a data type used *inside* an algorithm
from outside.  Here's a smaller version:

	foo :: String -> String
	foo s = show (read s)

This is ambiguous; what type should 'read' return?  Your idea: pass in
that type via a proxy value:

	foo :: (Read a, Show a) => a -> String -> String
	foo p s = show (read s `asTypeOf` p)

Now you can say

	foo (undefined :: Int) "34"

and it'll work.  A neater way to do this with GHC is to use scoped type
variables:

	foo :: (Read a, Show a) => a -> String -> String
	foo (p::a) s = show (read s :: a)

One reason this is neater is that it scales up better when you want to
pass a type constructor instead of a type.   First define a data type
with no constructors, and a phantom type arg

	data Proxy (a :: * -> *)

Now you can write a function like this