Conal Elliott | 21 Aug 20:14 2012
Picon

Long compilation times when profiling a large CAF

I'm looking for help with crazy-long compile times when using GHC with profiling. A source file at work has a single 10k line top-level definition, which is a CAF. With -prof auto-all or an explicit SCC, compilation runs for 8 hours on a fast machine with the heap growing to 13GB before being killed. Without profiling, it compiles in a few minutes.

The big CAFs are auto-generated and not of my making, so I'm hoping for a solution other than "stop making big CAFs".

Thanks,  -- Conal

Simon Marlow | 22 Aug 13:16 2012
Picon

Re: Long compilation times when profiling a large CAF

On 21/08/2012 19:14, Conal Elliott wrote:
> I'm looking for help with crazy-long compile times when using GHC with
> profiling. A source file at work has a single 10k line top-level
> definition, which is a CAF. With -prof auto-all or an explicit SCC,
> compilation runs for 8 hours on a fast machine with the heap growing to
> 13GB before being killed. Without profiling, it compiles in a few minutes.
>
> The big CAFs are auto-generated and not of my making, so I'm hoping for
> a solution other than "stop making big CAFs".

We could take a look.  Can you make a self-contained example that
demonstrates the problem?

Cheers,
	Simon

Gmane