Kazu Yamamoto | 28 Aug 06:37 2012
Picon

RULES for ByteString are not fired

Hello,

I seems to us (my friends and me) that term rewriting rules for
ByteString are not fired in recent GHCs.

	6.12.3    OK
	7.0.4     NG
	7.4.1     NG
	7.6.1RC1  NG

For example, with the example from this ticket
results in as follows:

% ghc -O  -ddump-simpl-stats --make breakOn.hs
14 RuleFired
  4 Class op showsPrec
  2 Class op show
  2 eqChar#->case
  2 unpack
  2 unpack-list
  1 Class op ==
  1 Class op >>

There is no ByteString rules.

Is this a bug or intention?

--Kazu

(Continue reading)

Thomas DuBuisson | 28 Aug 07:24 2012
Picon

Re: RULES for ByteString are not fired

Another data point:

The bytestring 'break' rule fired fine for me (GHC 7.4.1 Linux x86-64).

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu <at> iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I seems to us (my friends and me) that term rewriting rules for
> ByteString are not fired in recent GHCs.
>
>         6.12.3    OK
>         7.0.4     NG
>         7.4.1     NG
>         7.6.1RC1  NG
>
> For example, with the example from this ticket
>         http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3703
> results in as follows:
>
> % ghc -O  -ddump-simpl-stats --make breakOn.hs
> 14 RuleFired
>   4 Class op showsPrec
>   2 Class op show
>   2 eqChar#->case
>   2 unpack
>   2 unpack-list
>   1 Class op ==
>   1 Class op >>
>
> There is no ByteString rules.
(Continue reading)

Ian Lynagh | 28 Oct 22:23 2012

Re: RULES for ByteString are not fired

Hi Kazu,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 01:37:32PM +0900, Kazu Yamamoto wrote:

> I seems to us (my friends and me) that term rewriting rules for
> ByteString are not fired in recent GHCs.

Thanks for the report. I've filed a ticket here:

Thanks
Ian

Gmane