Eric M. Pashman | 6 Oct 21:24 2012
Picon

Constructing TH types

Hello,

I'm using Template Haskell (which I've just begun to learn) to do "stanamic" type-checking. Basically I'm
just converting 'TypeRep' and 'TyCon' values (from 'Data.Typeable') into Template Haskell's
representation (i.e., values of the 'Type' datatype) and splicing them as type signatures in code where
compile-time type inference is otherwise impossible.

My first thought was simply to make a TH 'Name' from the 'show' representation of a 'TypeRep', and turn that
into a 'Type':

toType :: TypeRep -> Type
toType = ConT . mkName . show

This works for simple, atomic types like 'Int', but it chokes on compound types (I mean those with a type
parameter, e.g. 'Maybe Int'.), for reasons I don't quite understand. So I tried this instead:

toType tr = foldr (flip AppT . toType) (tcToType tc) trs where
    (tc, trs) = splitTyConApp tr

tcToType :: TyCon -> Type
tcToType = ConT . mkName . show

This works for both simple types and compound types made from standard prefix type-constructors, but it
breaks on sugared constructors like '[]'; a 'TypeRep' for, say, '[Int]' gets turned into an invalid type
that spliced in as '[] Int'.

Basically I don't quite understand how 'Name' construction and binding works. Is there a better way to make
a 'Name' that will work with sugared type constructors, or do I have to special-case them while doing
something like the above? (If so, what are all the special cases? Anything beyond lists and tuples?)