Johan Tibell | 30 Nov 04:54 2012
Picon

Is the GHC release process documented?

Friends,

While writing a new nofib benchmark today I found myself wondering
whether all the nofib benchmarks are run just before each release,
which the drove me to go look for a document describing the release
process. A quick search didn't turn up anything, so I thought I'd ask
instead. Is there a documented GHC release process? Does it include
running nofib? If not, may I propose that we do so before each release
and compare the result to the previous release*.

* This likely means that nofib has to be run for the upcoming release
and the prior release each time a release is made, as numbers don't
translate well between machines so storing the results somewhere is
likely not that useful.

Cheers,
Johan
Simon Marlow | 30 Nov 13:11 2012
Picon

Re: Is the GHC release process documented?

On 30/11/12 03:54, Johan Tibell wrote:
> While writing a new nofib benchmark today I found myself wondering
> whether all the nofib benchmarks are run just before each release,
> which the drove me to go look for a document describing the release
> process. A quick search didn't turn up anything, so I thought I'd ask
> instead. Is there a documented GHC release process? Does it include
> running nofib? If not, may I propose that we do so before each release
> and compare the result to the previous release*.
>
> * This likely means that nofib has to be run for the upcoming release
> and the prior release each time a release is made, as numbers don't
> translate well between machines so storing the results somewhere is
> likely not that useful.

I used to do this on an ad-hoc basis: the nightly builds at MSR spit out
nofib results that I compared against previous releases.

In practice you want to do this much earlier than just before a release,
because it can take time to investigate and squash any discrepancies.

On the subject of the release process, I believe Ian has a checklist
that he keeps promising to put on the wiki (nudge :)).

Cheers,
	Simon

Gmane