Ian Lynagh | 11 Dec 16:04 2012

Mailing list reorganisation

Hi all,

Following a recent discussion, we propose to reorganise the GHC-related
mailing lists so that we end up with:

    glasgow-haskell-users
        For user discussions

    ghc-devs
        For developer discussions

    ghc-commits
        For automated commit messages from the git repositories

    ghc-builds
        For automated nightly build reports

    ghc-tickets
        For automated messages from trac

We would remove
    cvs-ghc cvs-libraries cvs-other glasgow-haskell-bugs
but leave the archives in place, and for now forwarding messages to
cvs-* to ghc-devs, and glasgow-haskell-bugs to ghc-tickets.
(cvs-libraries and cvs-other are included in this list, because we think
they are mainly used by libraries that GHC HQ maintains, or by GHC's
lagging repos of libraries that other people maintain).

The initial subscriber lists for ghc-devs, ghc-commits and ghc-builds
(Continue reading)

Johan Tibell | 11 Dec 16:54 2012
Picon

Re: Mailing list reorganisation

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com> wrote:
> Does that sound reasonable? Does anyone have any further questions or
> comments?

Sound good to me. Thanks for working on this.

-- Johan
Manuel M T Chakravarty | 12 Dec 02:49 2012

Re: Mailing list reorganisation

Good plan!

Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> Following a recent discussion, we propose to reorganise the GHC-related
> mailing lists so that we end up with:
>
>    glasgow-haskell-users
>        For user discussions
>
>    ghc-devs
>        For developer discussions
>
>    ghc-commits
>        For automated commit messages from the git repositories
>
>    ghc-builds
>        For automated nightly build reports
>
>    ghc-tickets
>        For automated messages from trac
>
> We would remove
>    cvs-ghc cvs-libraries cvs-other glasgow-haskell-bugs
> but leave the archives in place, and for now forwarding messages to
> cvs-* to ghc-devs, and glasgow-haskell-bugs to ghc-tickets.
> (cvs-libraries and cvs-other are included in this list, because we think
> they are mainly used by libraries that GHC HQ maintains, or by GHC's
> lagging repos of libraries that other people maintain).
(Continue reading)

Niklas Larsson | 12 Dec 17:11 2012
Picon

Re: Mailing list reorganisation

Sounds good, even if one wants to receive everything it's much easier
to robustly filter the incoming mail when it comes from different
addresses.

Niklas

2012/12/11 Ian Lynagh <ian <at> well-typed.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Following a recent discussion, we propose to reorganise the GHC-related
> mailing lists so that we end up with:
>
>     glasgow-haskell-users
>         For user discussions
>
>     ghc-devs
>         For developer discussions
>
>     ghc-commits
>         For automated commit messages from the git repositories
>
>     ghc-builds
>         For automated nightly build reports
>
>     ghc-tickets
>         For automated messages from trac
>
> We would remove
>     cvs-ghc cvs-libraries cvs-other glasgow-haskell-bugs
(Continue reading)

Carter Schonwald | 12 Dec 20:37 2012
Picon

Re: Mailing list reorganisation

indeed!

when can we anticipate this rollout!

also: props to all for  such a rapid concensus on this topic! :)

-carter