Jan Stolarek | 20 Dec 09:57 2012
Picon

Tagging subjects of emails sent from the list

Would it be possible to change mailing list settings so that topics of emails begin
with "[glasgow-haskell-users]" (and for upcoming lists: "[ghc-devs]", "[ghc-commits]" and so on.
No quotation marks of course). It would make filtering and searching in the mailbox easier.

Janek
Johan Tibell | 20 Dec 10:21 2012
Picon

Re: Tagging subjects of emails sent from the list

I'd prefer if they weren't tagged. My mail reader (GMail) can do the
tagging for me and I'll end up with duplicated tags and the list of
subjects get harder to scan.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek <at> p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> Would it be possible to change mailing list settings so that topics of emails begin
> with "[glasgow-haskell-users]" (and for upcoming lists: "[ghc-devs]", "[ghc-commits]" and so on.
> No quotation marks of course). It would make filtering and searching in the mailbox easier.
>
> Janek

Erik de Castro Lopo | 20 Dec 10:46 2012

Johan Tibell wrote:

> I'd prefer if they weren't tagged. My mail reader (GMail) can do the
> tagging for me and I'll end up with duplicated tags and the list of
> subjects get harder to scan.

I'm with Johan. I have tools to sort the list mail and would prefer
not to have redundant stuff obscuring the subject line.

I see you're using KMail. Surely that has automatic filtering
facilities?

Erik

Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/
Jan Stolarek | 20 Dec 11:40 2012
Picon

Re: Tagging subjects of emails sent from the list

> I see you're using KMail. Surely that has automatic filtering
> facilities?
Of course, though I use filters on Zimbra so that I don't need to redefine them on each of my
machines. Zimbra filters are a bit crappy though and it would be easier for me to write filters
based on subject. I can manage without it though if it would be problem for others.

Janek
Herbert Valerio Riedel | 20 Dec 11:28 2012

Johan Tibell <johan.tibell <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'd prefer if they weren't tagged. My mail reader (GMail) can do the
> tagging for me and I'll end up with duplicated tags and the list of
> subjects get harder to scan.

Same here; that's what RFC-2919[1] is for...

 [1]: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2919.html
Simon Marlow | 20 Dec 14:48 2012
Picon

Re: Tagging subjects of emails sent from the list

Right, we deliberately don't add subject tags for exactly that reason.
There are enough headers in mailing list emails for your mail reader to
automatically filter/tag messages if you need to.

Cheers,
	Simon