jugree | 10 Jan 00:11 2013

(mips64el) Cross-building GHC

Hello.

I would like to port GHC to mips64el. I have never tried
cross-building before. So I will probably post more questions later.

Actually, I am not sure that I am using the right term. I am going to
use my i686 machine to build GHC for mips64el. In terms of this
page(0):

B = i686-unknown-linux
H = mips64el-unknown-linux
T = mips64el-unknown-linux

Is the above correct?

What I did:

1. Downloaded this(1) tarball (on i686) and unpacked it.
2. Executed the following commands(2):

ghc-7.6.1$ cp /bin/pwd utils/ghc-pwd/ghc-pwd
ghc-7.6.1$ perl boot
ghc-7.6.1$ ./configure --enable-hc-boot --build=i686-unknown-linux
--host=mips64el-unknown-linux --target=mips64el-unknown-linux

Output:

checking for gfind... no
checking for find... /usr/bin/find
checking for sort... /usr/bin/sort
(Continue reading)

Stephen Paul Weber | 10 Jan 03:01 2013
Picon

Re: (mips64el) Cross-building GHC

Somebody claiming to be jugree <at> lavabit.com wrote:
>I would like to port GHC to mips64el. I have never tried
>cross-building before. So I will probably post more questions later.

Awesome.  I have a MIPS-based netbook (lemote yeelong thing) and got the GHC
port from Debian on it, but of course it's a just-barely-works build :)

Stephen Paul Weber,  <at> singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted
edition right joseph
Joachim Breitner | 10 Jan 14:58 2013
Picon

Re: (mips64el) Cross-building GHC

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.01.2013, 21:01 -0500 schrieb Stephen Paul Weber:
> Somebody claiming to be jugree <at> lavabit.com wrote:
> >I would like to port GHC to mips64el. I have never tried
> >cross-building before. So I will probably post more questions later.
>
> Awesome.  I have a MIPS-based netbook (lemote yeelong thing) and got the GHC
> port from Debian on it, but of course it's a just-barely-works build :)

What do you mean by barely-just-works? Anything besides:
 * no GHCi support and
 * bad performance due to the lack of a native code generator
is probably a bug that we (the GHC maintainers in Debian) would like to
know about.

Greetings,
Joachim

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata <at> debian.org | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata <at> joachim-breitner.de | http://people.debian.org/~nomeata

Stephen Paul Weber | 10 Jan 15:49 2013

Somebody signing messages as Joachim Breitner wrote:
>> Awesome.  I have a MIPS-based netbook (lemote yeelong thing) and got the
>> GHC port from Debian on it, but of course it's a just-barely-works build
>> :)
>
>What do you mean by barely-just-works? Anything besides:
> * no GHCi support and
> * bad performance due to the lack of a native code generator
>is probably a bug that we (the GHC maintainers in Debian) would like to
>know about.

Sorry, I did not mean that to sound so negative.  I'm really glad you guys
have a build for my esoteric machine at all :)  I was, in fact, referring to
the lack of GHCi/TH/DPH support, and IIRC it uses the old via-C instead of
LLVM, but I could be wrong about that.  More eyeballs on porting to the
architecture would certainly not be a bad thing.

I haven't experience any actual bugs yet in my yeeloong GHC.  Thanks for
providing it.

Stephen Paul Weber,  <at> singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted
edition right joseph

jugree | 11 Jan 14:01 2013

Re: (mips64el) Cross-building GHC

> What do you mean by barely-just-works? Anything besides:
>  * no GHCi support and
>  * bad performance due to the lack of a native code generator
> is probably a bug that we (the GHC maintainers in Debian) would like to
> know about.

Could you help me to find a workaround for the mentioned error?

Gmane